Home Technical Talk

Full Character Workflow

Hey guys! I'm starting my first character(at a good level of knowledge and skills) and I'm having problem thinking the entire workflow for him.
This character will have: armor, belts, weapon and some props. 
My problem is how do i tackle this. Sculpt the high poly character in zbrush->retopo->uv's->texture
For the props do I create the high poly in maya-export in zbrush to add some details-back in maya for the low poly?

I'm trying to get in game industry and i wonder what is the number of polys should my character have?
for the low poly: For now the character is having 20k.If the other props/armour and pieces of clothes have 15-20k is ok?

Thank you !

Replies

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    First do a blockout and show us what you have. First you need the base. 
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    If going for high end realism, probably sticking to artstation challenge guidelines is fine. Otherwise, find a studio that makes art similar to your style and try to figure out what kind of technical guidelines they usually operate under. You could even find an artist that works at such a studio and message them directly. "Hey, I'm a student artist, I like what you guys are doing and would like to challenge myself to make a character using your typical workflow and technical criteria..."

Workflow  : both of what you said is fine. If you have a clear concept and you know it won't change, probably easiest to build blockout in maya then sculpt, then adjust blockout to be a game res model and bake.

Good thing to do is experiment with workflow -- don't get it in your head that you have to do it one way. Be open to making mistakes, doing things over again, and trying out all the different workflow styles you can think of. Gives you more tools in the toolbelt down the road.
  • florianmking
    oglu said:
    First do a blockout and show us what you have. First you need the base. 
    This is the level of blockout in maya, and I m having 3 Udims (3 0-1 maps because gaming does not suport udims yet).First map: character, second: metal pieces , third :leather

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    If there are 3 udims on the body go with udims its easier to paint. And move the uvs back for the game export.