Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4 / Old laundry room work in progress

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
halldor polycounter lvl 6

just going to document what I am doing. So I can get feedback.
 The aim of this project is to make a realistic scene. 

started out with some basic block out.

Here am I make a basic mask in substance designer for tiles that i am creating using mixer 

after I was done in the mixer I did take it back to substance designer.
to make better roughness map and so on.

I did end up using the original normal map from a mixer. but I was able to use the new roughness and metallic with super low values.

Next, I did make base concrete painted in a mixer but it was not so good to change the colour value too much because it made it look super unrealistic.
I wanted to get a blue-green painted wall

I did a basic window frame in substance painter. this is not the final version of the Window just starting out with this  and then I will keep adding 

creating the basic blend material. For now without roughness, metallic and Ao

Testing the blend.

Second block pass, just to get the main shapes in there with very basic primitives. 

Removing details and add new ones.

I think this is super smart  did not want to spend 100 hours make the drain inside of the bathtub so I used 
substance Alchemist to create quick PBR decal from a single photo.

Bathtubs inside of unreal. 

starting to look like something. probably need to add a roughness slider for the bathtubs. They are a way too shiny 

Modelling this weird looking dryer and going to do a low to high poly Bake  

Almost done with this- old dryer don't know if I am happy with it wanted it to look  scanned object.

I think the right now the green colour is too green in the scene so I will have to redo the wall texture.

Trying to get a a bit darker mood .

Creating Master Material For the assets 

Replies

• halldor
    Offline / Send Message
  • halldor
    Offline / Send Message
  • Sicken
    cool, like where this is going.
  • halldor
    Offline / Send Message
  • halldor
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally, manage to update a tiny bit. any feedback would be preceded. 

• Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Nice work so far. I'm really liking those windows and the lighting so far.

I think your textures are looking really blurry for some reason. For a scene this small, and for a portfolio environment you should consider disabling mip mapping on all of your textures. That will help them look much more crisp and taking high resolution screenshots will help get rid of any artifacting that results from the lack of mipping.

Also you should consider using parallax occlusion mapping for the walls in particular. The depth of the wallpaper isn't really working yet, but with parallax that might make it look quite a bit better.

The wood planks on the left laying on the tubs need quite a bit of work. They don't really look like anything I can identify. Try starting with a scanned wood material and then build up grime, wear, and color variation from there in painter.

The tubs have pretty uniform grime and wear. I'd suggest adding things like water lines in the tube, drain streaks and less collection of dirt and grim on the outside vs the inside. Definitely look up some references for that because right now it looks a bit uniform.

The scene has a lot of potential. Keep up the good work and I'm excited to see where you take the scene.
  • halldor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you. jehhh was always going to replace the wood planks.  but had not thought about the other things so it's exactly the feedback I needed so thank you again for the awesome feedback. 
  • halldor
    Offline / Send Message

a tiny update. Did change the wood. I think I still need work a bit more on that part. I also did disable mipmapping for the wall texture. 

I was also hoping for some further comment on the Green wall texture I like the ugly green color but I am not sure if it's realistic enough if I was going for a semi-realistic scene I would be pretty happy with it. but something feels wrong. maybe it is just the depth like jack mentioned. 
  • halldor
    Offline / Send Message

curtain material in substance.
  • halldor
    Offline / Send Message
    the curtains don't look as nice in unreal like they did in substance will probably  try to find a way to make it look nice but 
    here is what I got so far  

• halldor
    Offline / Send Message
    Like always Small changes here and there.

• halldor
    Offline / Send Message

Just have to do a few things more until I finish but still have the feeling something is missing.
    only have 2 assets left on my to-do list a tiny polish on few objects and textures,
    so any suggestion or feedback would be great. 

• halldor
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe I overdid this one 

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the ao and lighting need some work in that last shot, get some good reference for lighting and try to really nail it, if you do then all your work making nice assets will pay off so much more! also the texture just sort of warping over those beams/lumps in the cieling looks wierd. Some more obvious material definition on the floor would be cool too.
  • halldor
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ged

Thank you for the feedback.  

I did kinda make the shadows a bit harder and more saturated. but are you then talking about trying to make them softer and less obvious like in real life? 

finally starting to like-ing this like that but I am worst in lighting in my opinion, so I might have to work on it more. 

I re uv the beams. I hope they look a bit nicer now there was a little stretch going on. 

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Thats looking better already, the light looks too flat in the room still the light on the floor should look like its bouncing up and lighting the room, like this https://cdn.conceptartempire.com/images/07/965/00-featured-jordan-grimmer-interview.jpg you might need to place in a light and get the decay just right to fake it or adjust your bake if your doing lightmap bakes.
  • halldor
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ged thank you. I will see what I can do 
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Hey its good already just hope to help you a bit :) I had a quick look in photoshop with one of your shots and just boosting the levels curve a bit makes the lighting look a whole lot better. Sometimes doing a quick paintover of your own work or getting someone to do one will help you get the look you are after. cheers have fun!
  • Cactus on Fire
    Offline / Send Message
    Cactus on Fire polycounter lvl 10
    The dirt and rust details on the models look really good. The high contrast of the renders are kinda killing those details though, I'd bump up the gamma a little.
  • halldor
    Offline / Send Message
    @Cactus on Fire   Thank you. will try that.

• halldor
    Offline / Send Message
    I think my main problem is my screens they are as cheap at it gets and I not able to see what you guys see it looks really good on my screens and on my phone and then I went to another computer and it kinda looked like shit.
    so I honestly don't know how to fix something I can not see.

Here is a screenshot with more high-resolution shadows. Did a small tweak to get more bonces I honestly like the darker version more but I think this one is a bit more realistic. but got some small artifacts I have to fix. 

but I am using the screen on the left to do the setup because I think he is more correct. 

but I might be that he is too bright. 

• halldor
    Offline / Send Message
    gamma correction - hue saturation  

test 1

test2

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    halldor said:
    I think my main problem is my screens they are as cheap at it gets and I not able to see what you guys see it looks really good on my screens and on my phone and then I went to another computer and it kinda looked like shit.
    so I honestly don't know how to fix something I can not see.

Here is a screenshot with more high-resolution shadows. Did a small tweak to get more bonces I honestly like the darker version more but I think this one is a bit more realistic. but got some small artifacts I have to fix. 

but I am using the screen on the left to do the setup because I think he is more correct. 

but I might be that he is too bright. 

This shot looks good to me, nice light balance on most of the scene, the ao still looks a bit too intense in my opinion eg under the baths and around the edges on the white water cooler looking things, your assets look neat. The gamma correction/saturation edits make it too flat and grey in my opinion maybe you went a tad too far with that, it also didn't brighten the dark areas so it didn't do what I would have expected.
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    looks great, can you tell us how you did the walls on the front left.Do you have floating geometry coming out of the wall to help give it that torn feeling or is that just within the texture? thanks
  • halldor
    Offline / Send Message
    @snake85027
    Thank you glad you like it.

its a vertex painting. and then decal texture on top.
    so basically just a textures
  • halldor
    Offline / Send Message
    @ged thank you for your feedback. I am still working on brightening the shadows.
    on the light in the scene.

I don't know why I like it a lot with full burnout white and grey saturation
    maybe I will go somewhere between image 1 and 2. when I finish fixing the shadows.