Home Career & Education

I need some advice / portfolio review

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
loshmiii polycounter lvl 7
Hello people,
My name is Milos and I'm interested in 3d character artist. I'm self-taught. Also I study graphic-design but at college I dont learn almost anything about 3D. Btw place where I live dont have any game dev studio and number of people that know anything about 3D is really small. So I'm looking here for some advices and critique.
As I say I'm interested in 3D character design and I'm wondering how far currently I'm from some standard that is needed to get job in studio as a junior? I was applying for some jobs around Europe but I had no success so I think that I need to change something. I'm thinking about taking some personal courses from some skilled artist.

Here is link to some things I have done so far:

If anyone want to know something more, just ask.

Replies

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Hey,

so from a quick look at your portfolio there are still a couple of areas that need improvement. Keep in mind junior artist positions most of the time mean -> little production experience, same quality level as seniors. This is one of the reasons why it is hard to break into the industry.

Coming back to your portfolio:
    1. Anatomy needs work. Both facial and body proportions.

2. Modelling skills. It is obvious you are using ZBrush for modelling as everything has this wobbly sculpted feeling to it. This won't cut it. Either learn a modelling package (what I seriously recommend, since most studios require it anyhow for pipeline purposes) or at the very least learn hard surface modeling in ZBrush - but again, it probably won't be enough. I know studios test hard surface modelling by requiring you to provide a file that definitely wasn't done in ZBrush but either Maya or Max. 

3. If you are working on characters Marvelous Designer is a must, at least for realistic characters.

4. Game Ready assets - without that no chance in the game industry. 

Overall you seem to have the potential, but there is a obvious lack of fundamentals, so taking some classes is going to be necessary or continue working on your own, but switch to learning the basics of game art :)

Good luck :)
  • loshmiii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,
    thank you for great feedback and your time.

I will definetly work on improving anatomy and start learning Marvelous Designer.

Actually I use 3d Max for modelling, it was software that I used to start with 3D but in last period I'm trying to avoid using him and trying to do as much as I can in Zbrush.

That is pic of one of my work in Max. Dont know why I have decided to put it on behance instead of artstation. Probably because I read somewhere that portfolio for character art should be just with character art. Look's like I was wrong....

Already before I read somewhere that game ready assets and characters is something that you need to have in portfolio so consider that in this moment I'm alredy working to transfer my two chracters (viking and futuristic military) into game ready. Also I'm thinking about removing 3 other projects (cossack, demon and lamp) from portfolio because  they dont have some value for some game studio (probably).

Anyway, thank you again. Probably this is first time in my life that I'm talking seriously with someone about my portfolio.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Hey :)

What you want to do with a portfolio is prove that you know how things that are required for your job are done on industry level. Anything below doesn't help and most of the time it hurts, as people will judge you on your weakest piece (it shows your understanding of quality). 

You don't need to have hard surface in your portfolio, but it helps. What you definitely don't want are armor pieces that immediately tell the viewer they have been sculpted because of their wobbly surface and because you can see that the separations are only done by brushes.

My advice would be - even though it might sound harsh - drop everything in your portfolio and start a new character. Make sure you get feedback for the anatomy phase of your high poly already. Actually the block out. Best to keep posting on this board and working with their feedback. It might need some time to catch attention, but work through it. Feel free to contact me if you ain't getting responses. Your goal should be creating a complete character and its game ready version. You are still at a stage where your progress from character to character should be significant, so don't waste time on the current models. Only reason to go back to them is to learn basics like baking/uvs/... if you already know that, then lets start something new and make it as awesome as you can :)

Another key thing - pick up a concept for a game that has the art style that you like and create a piece based on that. So you can always compare yourself with the game and see if your work fits in. Again - there is no junior artist quality level only junior experience level.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    loshmiii said:
    Hey,
    thank you for great feedback and your time.

I will definetly work on improving anatomy and start learning Marvelous Designer.

Actually I use 3d Max for modelling, it was software that I used to start with 3D but in last period I'm trying to avoid using him and trying to do as much as I can in Zbrush.

That is pic of one of my work in Max. Dont know why I have decided to put it on behance instead of artstation. Probably because I read somewhere that portfolio for character art should be just with character art. Look's like I was wrong....

Already before I read somewhere that game ready assets and characters is something that you need to have in portfolio so consider that in this moment I'm alredy working to transfer my two chracters (viking and futuristic military) into game ready. Also I'm thinking about removing 3 other projects (cossack, demon and lamp) from portfolio because  they dont have some value for some game studio (probably).

Anyway, thank you again. Probably this is first time in my life that I'm talking seriously with someone about my portfolio.
    Perhaps you could also consider work in prop/vehicle modeling for games/visualization since you have experience in that. The car render above is really good, would love to see more breakdowns.

Another approach to character art would be instead of scrapping your current work, you could re do them, at the most one or two of them with good presentation and breakdowns.
    That should suffice. Also know that getting work depends a lot on the market and character artist jobs can be notoriously challenging to get and networking and referrals are involved considerably, so its not just your art that matters exclusively.

I've also found the focusing on parts of a character can help get into a character team, like character props, clothing and portraits.
    There's also the freelance market you can become a part of.

While its true that you likely need to limit to characters to get a character art job, having other pieces doesn't invalidate your portfolio automatically. Just make sure its categorised properly and in any applications for character art positions you could link directly to your character art, or provide work samples. 

The judged by your weakest piece bit, well I don't know too much about that since art can be pretty subjective, but its best to be in control of what you can control in your art.
     Many cases you may not even get any feedback to a submitted application so everything that happens on the industry side is more speculation than anything for the most part. You can get a lot more feedback here on polycount though.

• mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with Biomag, scrap your current portfolio and start from scratch following Biomag's advice. Don't get stuck into the trap of reworking old models, it's so easy to do and just wastes time that would be way better spent on creating new content that uses all of your experience learned from previous projects. Best of luck! :smile:
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    mikhga said:
    I agree with Biomag, scrap your current portfolio and start from scratch following Biomag's advice. Don't get stuck into the trap of reworking old models, it's so easy to do and just wastes time that would be way better spent on creating new content that uses all of your experience learned from previous projects. Best of luck! :smile:
      If he worked with a mentor, he could certainly re-purpose a lot of what he already has. He'd probably learn a lot more by doing that. Not to say he shouldn't make more models, but taking a second look at what he currently has might give him more insight on the mistakes he's made.       
      Would need to see more breakdowns to know if this is possible though. Like the lows with the bakes will likely need to be scrapped, but a lot of the highpoly could be salvaged I feel.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    @NikhilR , I think the "judged by your worst piece" is about giving the best impression/eliminating reasons why another candidate may be more attractive than you. And as Biomag is always saying, it shows that you are a very strict about what kind of quality you put out. I'm all for showing off my junk for the benefit of my peers, but when it comes to getting a job you've got to be a cutthroat. "I am perfect and I don't deliver anything less than perfection," has to be the impression. Because somebody else is gonna give that impression if you don't.

It's not a judgement of your personal character at all.

@loshmiii , I second all the advice above. Especcially biomags "you are at stage where there will be big strides between characters, so just make new ones." This is something I have realized recently and I think it's true. Maybe if a rule were to be made from it I might say, "make 50 complete characters before you worry about perfectionism and making a portfolio."

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Don't use your own concepts.  Work off an existing, someone else did it, concept art.

You can practice your design skills separately, but your ideas are not holding strong muster in 3D.  Your space marine guy is an example of this.
  • loshmiii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for taking part in discussion.

I totaly agree with most of that has been writen here. Actually even before I was thinking about to remove all old works from portfolio. Every time I was publishing new work I was deleting old that were bad so I will have no problem to delete all these one day lol.

NO HELP PROJECTS:

Demon, cossack and lamp will be deleted because I think that no rework can help them.
    Demon is just sculpture, only thing that I could do is to create all body, add PBR texture and do retopo and baking, but I dont know.... maybe is better to create something new.
    Cossack  - no help for him. Actualy I have tried to do some rework of him but no help. All I could do is to add fibermesh hair and mustaches and photoshop renders but still no help.
    Lamp is there just to show some basic animation skill.
    -----------------------

MAYBE, BUT ACTUALLY NO HELP:
    Futuristic Military - that was project on which I was learning how to create some hardsuface sci fi character. And I learned a lot but at that stage I was still not on level at which you think about some things such as functionality, materialization or something like that... Probably there is no help for him too because i will need to create 90% of all part again so maybe it would be better to create something new.

Here are two sketches in which direction I could go with rework, but probably new project would be better.

------------------------------

MAYBE:

Viking is only work that I think that maybe could be saved. So I will need some advices on how to improve that work. For now I need to do retopology and bake all textures in one texture because it is curently composed from many separate parts. Maybe i should create new topic on general part of forum where I could get more suggestions about that how to improve him.

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demon Guy:
    The materials are pretty bad, they seemed rushed or low effort, almost like it was abandoned shortly after sculpting. The sculpting details are PERFECTLY mirrored, even the tiny details like chips and wear. It needed asymmetry much earlier on in the process and definitely before you got to those micro details.

Cossack guy:
    He should go, there isn't much to redeem him, he is hurting your portfolio. You're only as strong as your weakest piece and this guy is killing you. The sculpted cloth details are the weakest part. There is a lot of tiny texture details but no seams? The materials aren't helping him either. They all individual pieces that don't blend together very well. They don't show age and aren't worn together and there isn't much tying it all together.

Steampunk Lamp:
    This has a lot of issues and I don't think it hits the proper style to be defined as steampunk, it looks more "Atomic Age" than steampunk. That worries me, because we're artists and we need to speak a common language. When I say steampunk and you're thinking atomic age, we've got issues making our ideas match. That's a weird team dynamic that is setup for conflicting views and styles. To top it off there are a lot of floating pieces and the mechanical parts don't really make sense. 

Future Marine:
    He is probably your strongest piece. There are some good hard surface details and the overall design is pretty good. The materials are underselling the character and the detail. It all looks really new without much wear or age. His gear says he's a new recruit but his face says he is a vet? Dropping this guy in substance painter and doing some simple procedural wear and masking work could really make it great. Again the cloth details are pretty weak and need some structural changes. The pose isn't very dynamic. Stiff spine, awkward bent leg poses, he's still very close to your base pose, which tells me you aren't very good at posing, or rigging. 

Viking:
    Pretty good piece that is struggling with some harsh lighting. Some of the cloth quilted details are blobby and need to be defined better.

So overall, materials are the biggest thing that are letting your characters down. Character art is very competitive and you'll need quite a few characters under your belt at higher quality before you'll get noticed. You have some good hard surface details and it could be cool to see what you can do with some weapons or other gear or environment pieces.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    @NikhilR , I think the "judged by your worst piece" is about giving the best impression/eliminating reasons why another candidate may be more attractive than you. And as Biomag is always saying, it shows that you are a very strict about what kind of quality you put out. I'm all for showing off my junk for the benefit of my peers, but when it comes to getting a job you've got to be a cutthroat. "I am perfect and I don't deliver anything less than perfection," has to be the impression. Because somebody else is gonna give that impression if you don't.

It's not a judgement of your personal character at all.

@loshmiii , I second all the advice above. Especcially biomags "you are at stage where there will be big strides between characters, so just make new ones." This is something I have realized recently and I think it's true. Maybe if a rule were to be made from it I might say, "make 50 complete characters before you worry about perfectionism and making a portfolio."

I think working from a reference would definitely help with the subjective side of things. Then it won't be the worst piece more like it ought to match the reference or justified in its style if it doesn't.
    To pick a reference, better to go close to the company he's hoping to join.
    But before all of that, I'd really like to see more renders like that car, that could get OP some work a whole lot sooner than the time it will take to rebuild his whole portfolio from scratch. 
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    If OP wants to pursue character art my recommendation would be to start a new character, follow Biomag's advice and push that character as far as possible and then get rid of the current portfolio pieces. For a junior character artist role you only really need one well executed character to land a job. If he gives himself a couple of months he could have a new character finished by end of summer, which will be perfect for studios looking to hire after the summer. 
  • loshmiii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, I will definitely start a new character, I just need to find some interesting concept....

Again thanks everyone for participating in this discussion.

• loshmiii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone,
    like I said I have started a new character based on some existing concept. I have decided to do a fanart of Tanaka from Halo 5.... Overall progress is still slow but I hope that it will go faster...

Here are some pictures....even it just part of leg lol (some details that are missing I plan to add in Substance)