Home Technical Talk

Seams and more seams in Maya baking

null
Offline / Send Message
sputman null
Ok - Ive read everything about normal baking in Maya - still not getting results. Its just a test but nada output that's pleasing. Here are the settings and the output etc. Please help:

Its probably just a simple issue with padding or a setting. I have some tiny bevels here - maybe my UV mapping is poor - I don't know !!  :#

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    You could just make all of your edges on your low-res mesh smooth. You've got hard edges, but baking it as one UV shell which is giving you those harsh black seams.

Split the box element off of the sphere into it's own uv's., like in the screenshot:

You're cramming a rectangle shape flat, which is almost impossible to have a good fitting  UV on a shape like that. Once it's split off like that, you could give them hard edges again (you would have to break it off into 5 seperate rectangles, if it's hard edges, one cross-shaped UV if its entirely smooth)

Re-bake and see if that minimizes it!

• sputman
    Offline / Send Message
    sputman null
    Ta - I shall experiment ad post results :smile:
  • sputman
    Offline / Send Message
    sputman null
    Well - I really think that something is wrong with the whole thing - i going to start afresh.
  • sputman
    Offline / Send Message
    sputman null
    I did another little test and it works fine on things a little less sticky out. I think for the sticky out thing it needs to have more fidelity to the initial model - although the rough seams still worry me.

on