Home Adobe Substance

Question - How can I get an 'Inner Glow' effect?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Golden Yak polycounter lvl 6

I'm looking for a way to give an object an inner glow, similar to the effect seen in this Cinema4D article:

https://lesterbanks.com/2014/11/create-inner-glow-effect-c4d/

The article mentions using an 'ambient occlusion pass that is piped into the luminance channel of the texture that you are using'. I'm still learning SP, does anyone have some ideas about how to attain this effect?

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You should get sometyhing similar if you bake a thickness map and use that into your emissive channel. Add a gradient filter to add color ot it.
  • Golden Yak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Golden Yak polycounter lvl 6
    Jerc said:
    You should get sometyhing similar if you bake a thickness map and use that into your emissive channel. Add a gradient filter to add color ot it.
    I got some good results from using thickness as a mask for a Fill layer set to Emissive only, then affecting that with Levels.
    But I don't know how to use a gradient filter the way you meant - when I tried adding one it just made my object glow all over uniformly.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Don't use it as a mask, put the thickness map directly into the emissive channel and then apply the gradient filter