Home Adobe Substance

How to make Trim sheets Using Designer

Hello  
I recently dicoverd that you can use Trim Shet to build big Modular Pieces and save a lot of Texture Space. 
Now after some Research I´ve come to understand how to use these sheets but not exatly how to make them.
I have already finshed all the parts I need to create my Trimm sheet (Patterms Materials etc.), but I am confused about how to put it all together. 
How do I get to have sepreate tilable Matrials and Pattern into one sheet and also gets some "bevels " for the Edges. 
I cant seem to find any helpful Recources, even when I looked trought the Modular Enviroment Thread. 

For Reffrence,  what I basicly want to achive  is to be able to create something like this. So that I can use one Sheet for the Pillar and the Base.

I´ll be glad for any advice. 

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Usually people use material blends and masks to combine tiling maps. 

I've built a couple of systems to handle it more automatically /faster but basically it amounts to masking stuff together. 

It's usually a good idea to work on a grid when you make trim sheets - saves a lot of mess later. 

• jtdx8866
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jtdx8866 polycounter lvl 5
    +1, looking forward to knowing some inspirations for that, doing the same thing recently
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    It depends how you want to create them. Will you create all the designs/shapes procedurally in SD, or will you model/sculpt/bake to a plane?

You can composite the final material directly in SD, or create RGB masks for use in the material in-engine. It all depends on your workflow. Your example above is actually pretty straightforward.

The bevels are just strips on the sheet that wrap around the corners.
  • FluffyderDelphin
    It depends how you want to create them. Will you create all the designs/shapes procedurally in SD, or will you model/sculpt/bake to a plane?

Ultimaly I doesnt really matter, how I get the End result.  I just figured I would have an easier time to tile my Ornaments Alphas in Desinger then to try to align them in Z Brush. 

So I can put the Matrials togther using Blend and Mask Nodes?  OK. But how do I also add the strips in Designer so that I would be as if I had baked some beveld edges to a plane ? And  how to I get them to the Edges of the Matrials, so that I have a bevels for each Material I am using 

I know the answer to this might be simple, but sometimes I have  more trouble to figre out easier stuff then more complex tasks.

Also big thanks for all the advice so far.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    You get a 45 degree bevel if you use  a distance node to convert a shape to height, pipe that into a normal node and use the same value for distance and normal intensity.