Home Career & Education

Time

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
jayantbhatt007 polycounter lvl 5
Hi I'm a fresher working on a well just curious to know about how much time you will take to complete this project Including modeling texturing and Lighting.

Replies

• TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    I'm not well versed with hand-painted stuff, but I think the pros can do this in less than a day.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Professional with years experience building high quality props; ~2 days in a production environment to the quality in the screenshot 

Student artist with little to no industry experience or still in school; A week at close to the quality posted, given the fact that they are working ~8hr days and are learning as they go.  
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    But in a production environment it might take another 2 weeks beforehand to decide that they want to have a fountain and what the fountain should look like
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    If you determined to make this well with the same level of quality, it may take you a day, it may take you a week, it may take you a year. Just depends on what you know right now and how much you need to learn to match the quality.

If you are a beginner learning, I think it's not useful to gauge yourself against others on speed at this point. Just a useless metric. Most return for your efforts is to first focus on volume (i,e. make a huge amount of art rather than dally with perfectionism or expecting your first fifty pieces to be great), then periodically give yourself a challenge to test what you know and push your limits.

Scientific approach to training:

Example :

Some years ago my job demanded that I be in as good of shape as possible. SO I was working out all the time - it was my life. One goal I had was to do a double body weight pullup. So how to achieve that? Put my bodyweight on a belt and just pull as hard as I ccan everyday until it magically happens? That doesn't work. Even if it did work, it would take so long and be so boring nobody could accomplish that.
    So I employed the methods of periodization. Very simply, I designed a way to do more and more bodyweight pullups (no extra weight) in a day without ever hitting muscle failure. I'd do one pullup, wait 30 minutes, then do two. Then three. Build up like this for three weeks, then take a week off. EVentually I was doing hundreds of pullups in a day. Thousands in a week. But I never did more than 5 at a time. Never broke a sweat, never felt "the burn."

Within a year I could do 10 double body weight pullups. That's an extra 180lbs hanging from the waist, though I never trained with weights.

Same approach with art. Develop a method that is enjoyable, consistent, stimulating, and scientific, get your reps in and the gains will come. You only got to train hard if you refuse to get smart.

• jayantbhatt007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys actually someone told me to to make this kind of 2 environments within 2 days.
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    best case 4-5 hours for the water well
  • jayantbhatt007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger said:
    best case 4-5 hours for the water well
    I saw your car game progress really cool. You are #pro_Man :smile:
  • Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    How long should you expect to spend making something like this?...

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    lefix said:
    But in a production environment it might take another 2 weeks beforehand to decide that they want to have a fountain and what the fountain should look like

^ this

But yeah,  a couple of days seems reasonable - add another if you're lodding/building collision meshes and have a pain in the arse export process. 
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    I needed a break from routine and decided to model the well and see how long it would take in Maya.

I modeled the rope wrapped around the winch which added to the poly count. Did some beveling as well. 1800-ish tris. Took 2.5 hours on the nose and that included bending the geometry into position. I'm not going to hand paint it, I'll take it into Substance Painter and "fake" the hand painting and add the details and then into Marmoset. I don't know how much time the artist that hand painted it spent texturing it, but I'm estimating at least an hour and a half in SP. So, non-hand painted it will be just under five hours (and then there is the iteration after seeing what it looks like lit in Marmoset). Defragger nailed the time (5-ish hours).
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty sure that rope is just a cylinder with another smaller cylinder coming off of it. Look at the silhouette along the top.

Even if you had to wrap a rope around a cylinder, you shouldn't need to be manually bending it into position. Make a proxy mesh cylinder with a certain amount of edge loops along its length, connect the edges so it becomes one concentric spiral, then convert that spiraling edge loop into a curve. In maya bonus tools you can curve to tube mesh, or otherwise you can extrude a cylinder along the curve.

Easier yet, if you've got a spiral primitive -- I htink most 3d apps have one -- you can just roughly put that into positon then do the same deal with the edgeloop to curve.

Pick up a few little tricks like this and you can save a lot of time. Also, that well shouldn't need 1,800 tris. I bet the ref is just a few hundred. Maybe less. Something like this the modeling is likely done very quickly as its mostly just primitive shapes, and more time is spent in the hand painting. That takes a lot of attention and skill to get a nice result like the reference.
  • jayantbhatt007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian said:
    I needed a break from routine and decided to model the well and see how long it would take in Maya.

I modeled the rope wrapped around the winch which added to the poly count. Did some beveling as well. 1800-ish tris. Took 2.5 hours on the nose and that included bending the geometry into position. I'm not going to hand paint it, I'll take it into Substance Painter and "fake" the hand painting and add the details and then into Marmoset. I don't know how much time the artist that hand painted it spent texturing it, but I'm estimating at least an hour and a half in SP. So, non-hand painted it will be just under five hours (and then there is the iteration after seeing what it looks like lit in Marmoset). Defragger nailed the time (5-ish hours).
    Looks Like I'm spending more time on #SP It would be great If you could make a tutorial on it. So beginners can learn something.
  • jayantbhatt007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty sure that rope is just a cylinder with another smaller cylinder coming off of it. Look at the silhouette along the top.

Even if you had to wrap a rope around a cylinder, you shouldn't need to be manually bending it into position. Make a proxy mesh cylinder with a certain amount of edge loops along its length, connect the edges so it becomes one concentric spiral, then convert that spiraling edge loop into a curve. In maya bonus tools you can curve to tube mesh, or otherwise you can extrude a cylinder along the curve.

Easier yet, if you've got a spiral primitive -- I htink most 3d apps have one -- you can just roughly put that into positon then do the same deal with the edgeloop to curve.

Pick up a few little tricks like this and you can save a lot of time. Also, that well shouldn't need 1,800 tris. I bet the ref is just a few hundred. Maybe less. Something like this the modeling is likely done very quickly as its mostly just primitive shapes, and more time is spent in the hand painting. That takes a lot of attention and skill to get a nice result like the reference.
    Thanks for the suggestion I will work on it. 
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jayantbhatt007:

Here is a link to my completed version of the well using the image above as reference. Total time start to finish (Maya modeling, UV layout (one 1024 map that can be scaled to 512), Substance Painter texturing, and Marmoset set up and Render) was six (6) hours including a few breaks, so likely 5.5 hours actual time.

My version has more polygons than the image (a more modern version given we do not have the same polygon limits as used in the image--above image notes 1132 Tris). I made some stylistic choices--it is a stylized asset and I did it for "fun" so I didn't need to maintain total fidelity to the original image. As noted above--it does not need 1800+ tris, but, again, I did this just to share an actual example of how long it would take. I modeled the rope because I chose to do so (it was not "bent into position"--just to clarify someone else's assumption, but some of the wood beams were). I added some bevels. If someone else wants to tackle this and show you the "old school" really low poly and hand painting method, let them do so.

Making a tutorial is a good idea--if I can find the time!

I hope this gives you a base line for how long it took to model and texture it (hand painting in SP) to the rendered level example. Disclaimer--if I was creating this for a portfolio I would spend more time on it, and if that is your goal then note that six hours is not enough time. Also, as noted above, hand painting to that level is a learned skill. Projects are due, they are never done.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lUmLLXoKdW-6OeHPanqCICtzkOJgYJ8S 

Here is a screenshot from SP before final tweaking and taking into Marmoset in case you wanted to see the pre-Marmoset render. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Oj_8jAlLiy-liqNY0fOmEJwJQmnOIR60 

Why don't you give it a try and post your results? P.S. Without the modeled rope, four modeled out roof decorative diamond pieces, and bevels it is sitting just under 1200 Tris (but if you are taking it into SP you will appreciate the bevels). Marmoset handles rendering the normal info well (see roof).

• jayantbhatt007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian said:
    Jayantbhatt007:

Here is a link to my completed version of the well using the image above as reference. Total time start to finish (Maya modeling, UV layout (one 1024 map that can be scaled to 512), Substance Painter texturing, and Marmoset set up and Render) was six (6) hours including a few breaks, so likely 5.5 hours actual time.

My version has more polygons than the image (a more modern version given we do not have the same polygon limits as used in the image--above image notes 1132 Tris). I made some stylistic choices--it is a stylized asset and I did it for "fun" so I didn't need to maintain total fidelity to the original image. As noted above--it does not need 1800+ tris, but, again, I did this just to share an actual example of how long it would take. I modeled the rope because I chose to do so (it was not "bent into position"--just to clarify someone else's assumption, but some of the wood beams were). I added some bevels. If someone else wants to tackle this and show you the "old school" really low poly and hand painting method, let them do so.

Making a tutorial is a good idea--if I can find the time!

I hope this gives you a base line for how long it took to model and texture it (hand painting in SP) to the rendered level example. Disclaimer--if I was creating this for a portfolio I would spend more time on it, and if that is your goal then note that six hours is not enough time. Also, as noted above, hand painting to that level is a learned skill. Projects are due, they are never done.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lUmLLXoKdW-6OeHPanqCICtzkOJgYJ8S 

Here is a screenshot from SP before final tweaking and taking into Marmoset in case you wanted to see the pre-Marmoset render. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Oj_8jAlLiy-liqNY0fOmEJwJQmnOIR60 

Why don't you give it a try and post your results? P.S. Without the modeled rope, four modeled out roof decorative diamond pieces, and bevels it is sitting just under 1200 Tris (but if you are taking it into SP you will appreciate the bevels). Marmoset handles rendering the normal info well (see roof).

Thank you so much. Here is my output which one  do you like
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to see that you posted your well render. I sent you a message with a paint over to give you some ideas to consider. You can hopefully appreciate the skill of the artist that hand painted the roof on the original image.
    P.S. Just saw you posted on Artstation. Seeing the wireframe explains the normal/geometry issue that I pointed out.
  • jayantbhatt007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian said:
    Good to see that you posted your well render. I sent you a message with a paint over to give you some ideas to consider. You can hopefully appreciate the skill of the artist that hand painted the roof on the original image.
    P.S. Just saw you posted on Artstation. Seeing the wireframe explains the normal/geometry issue that I pointed out.
    Yeah working on it. will update it on artstation also btw you are too fast :smile:
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you guys think to get that really clean painting of the roof they did something like sculpt in zbrush, turn that into grayscale map, then convert to colors and add grandients and other photoshop magic? Or just straight painted with brushes?
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just "straight out" painted using some custom brushes in Photoshop.  The artist that painted that roof is top notch. That is why most of the "stylized" well renders you see posted have modeled roof tiles.