Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique on Titan Armoury Environment

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ScottColverson polycounter lvl 3
Hey I'm Scott and I published this project on Artstation https://www.artstation.com/artwork/mq6Ln1 and I'd love as much crit as people would kindly spare.

I was recently declined a trainee environment position and the company didn't care to give any reason why except 'my work isn't of high standard'. 
So I have decided to start a post here to spread my work out to the world wide web and see what you amazing artist out there think and I can hopefully learn.
I will be adding more and more detailed objects and improving everything until a proper completion.
My main focus will be to start on adding more detail such as floor objects like wiring, debris and matting etc. 
Then onto more detailed props at the workstation.

I'm new to this site and forums so any help will be loved but I'll try to post on any updates to get any cit

Opening view of the warehouse.

A workstation area.
Lots of room for improvement here and plans here

A modular rifle system that I'll probably improve on a lot, it has a lot of pieces and will take time to full polish.

Replies

• TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    Nice work. Only critique I can give right now is the one you already mentioned, which is improving the workstation area. Definitely work on the lighting of that area since the objects are missing shadows and occlusion which make them seem like they're floating.
  • ScottColverson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottColverson polycounter lvl 3
    Nice work. Only critique I can give right now is the one you already mentioned, which is improving the workstation area. Definitely work on the lighting of that area since the objects are missing shadows and occlusion which make them seem like they're floating.
    Thank you! I never really noticed that, that'll be my first fix!
  • SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SeekeroflLight polycounter lvl 4
    I think your scene looks well done, specialy the lighting, it is has good values and contrast, and it is a lot better than what I can do.   :D
  • jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    Lighting looks great, the amount of props in your scene is on another level. Congrats on front page. 
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Hi @ScottColverson well your overall scene looks great, sells the mood and story in a good way for concept art but not as a game environment. However upon closer look I noticed few things that you might want to update to take this at current gen quality standards. 

*Stairs and floor panels look too thin like wafer, add some thickness / depth to make them look part of whole enviro supporting that heavy mech at back.

* Work benches have random screw bumps on top that dont align with legs or dont make sense design wise, have out of proportions supports (legs) compared to table top.  A bit of thickness to table top and thin struts would sell it much better.

*Padded pipes (orange) are too uniform, add some wavy / fluffy (inflated) wrinkles (normals) to break uniformity or keep them simple orange coated pipes. 

*Overhead beams have different color (green) screws that dont connect anything and also light seam visible on modular connection, modelled screws in such large environment will add to your performance and poly budget so you might want to add them as normals or totally take them off since they do not connect anything in between beams. 

*Overhanging red wires dont add to the story kind of distract you, like at bottom you have things organized and at top few hanging wires dont tell much about the people using it other than that they are reckless or confused using hi tech gear. Either have chaos at bottom too in storage area or organize the cables above with very subtle signs of wear n tear. 

*Lighting wise you need to have some AO / shadows going on table with weapons, bright light on bottom right (first pic) and bright yellow on left are distracting viewer's attention. I am sure you want focal point to be the mech in distance about to be deployed in some arena or battlefield. Try adding more highlight (brighten) on the mech and lower the intensity of the mentioned lights.    

Hope this helps, keep doing awesome work!! 

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Heh, it's hard to believe someone said your work was not of 'high standard'. Your portfolio looks sick.