Home Career & Education

Riot walk out today from 2-4pm

https://kotaku.com/riot-employees-prepare-for-walkout-today-1834553458

Los Angeles-based Riot Games employees are preparing for a walkout this afternoon in protest of the company’s stance on forced arbitration in what appears to be the first walkout at a major gaming studio. Kotaku will be reporting live from the protest as it develops.
“I’m walking out as a symbolic action to signal to leadership that I care about this issue,” said one current employee. “I hope leadership takes the time to seriously listen to the issues.”

Since late last year, five current and former Riot Games employees have filed lawsuits against the League of Legends publisher alleging, among other things, that Riot violated the California Equal Pay Act. The lawsuits referenced an eight-month Kotaku investigation in which dozens of current and former employees reported a culture of widespread and endemic sexism at the company, manifesting in Riot’s hiring practices, promotion strategies, and wider culture.

Replies

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Will the game industry blacklist these poor people? Like I was assuming that the one aspect that everyone's worried about when they speak out.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Culture change starts with the first step...my only hope is that this situation will be ultimatly resolved too the benefit of all parties involved.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    You have my solidarity gals and guys!
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    While I'm sure there is a lot of bogus agenda included, I have no surprises that Riot has no healthy work culture.
    They started in the most toxic way possible;

They bought the admin of the very popular Dota forums (Pendragon), deleted all content (thousands of threads, community guides, artworks, hero ideas of which they ripped a lot) closed the forums totally and put a cocky League advertisement on the frontpage, saying how much better League is than Dota. That is the most douche move Ive ever seen in the industry.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    hahaha

They address their employees as rioters.

You know 'cause of the name.

That's the best.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It's rare I'm sympathetic to this sort of thing (what with me being a crotchety old fascist in a position of privilege and power and all)  but in this instance I feel a little different. 
    I have ignored the twitterstorm surrounding it because that's what any adult should do but the forced arbitration thing leaves a very sour taste in my mouth - its hardly the behaviour of an institution that's got nothing to hide.  Smoke, fire etc.... 

In Europe this shit wouldn't fly at all and those of us who are fortunate enough to be working under European regulations probably ought to take a moment out to appreciate the protection we have.

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    poopipe said:
    It's rare I'm sympathetic to this sort of thing (what with me being a crotchety old fascist in a position of privilege and power and all)  but in this instance I feel a little different. 

Fascist? What studio are you with. o_O
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Interested in experiencing working for a fascist? :D

I think he was being ironic and referring to his position as the one of the bad bossmen, part of the powerful corrupt elite, etc

In Europe this shit wouldn't fly at all and those of us who are fortunate enough to be working under European regulations probably ought to take a moment out to appreciate the protection we have.

Regulations past generations of workers fought (and sometimes died) for, mind. Rarely will workers rights be gifted out of a company's/industry's goodness of their heart ;)

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    cptSwing said:
    Interested in experiencing working for a fascist? :D

I think he was being ironic and referring to his position as the one of the bad bossmen, part of the powerful corrupt elite, etc

Regulations past generations of workers fought (and sometimes died) for, mind. Rarely will workers rights be gifted out of a company's/industry's goodness of their heart ;)

Just so long as it doesnt involve an invasion of europe.
    Though i am genuinely curious.

• RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR said:

His user name is "poopipe".    
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    RyanB said:
    NikhilR said:

His user name is "poopipe".    
    I agree it is not very fascist.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing said:

Yes, exactly that.

And yeah, the conditions we all enjoy over here exist because they're enshrined in law, not because they make business sense :) 
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    poopipe said:
    cptSwing said:

Yes, exactly that. 
    What games has your studio published under these conditions? 
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    it was a joke...
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, it was.

I'm not saying where I work or which games I have made for the same reasons I don't reveal my address, full name or bank account details and I'd urge others to take the same approach. 
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    poopipe said:
    Yes, it was.

I'm not saying where I work or which games I have made for the same reasons I don't reveal my address, full name or bank account details and I'd urge others to take the same approach. 
        Ah i see. I share my artstation in my signature so its easier to find my work.
        If they find my address i hope they come visit for tea and biscotti.