Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - Baking artifacts. Maya for UVS - Retopo.

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
GarethStandfield polycounter lvl 3
Heys everyone trying to lean how to fix issues with baking before i texture. this. I retopod in Maya and Uved in maya if that means anything here. And are "Baking by name" i was wondering why these weird artifacts are appearing on my mesh in some places? anyone know what might be causing them. Thanks :)

Replies

• Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Can you show your UVs? It looks like the search radius is a bit high, so it bakes the details off the model that are too close to it. You can try setting up a cage to see if it fixes it or play with the search distance. Lets say your hair mesh is a separate and named. When the rays are casts the rays might search to far and it bakes the details of the hair parts that are near it. You can play with frontal and rear distance first to see if you get the bake you want.

If you decide to make a cage in Maya, all you have to do is make a group of all your parts (copy) and call the group cage. Select each part and select the hair for example. Select the verts go to move mode and make sure you set the transform from world to normal. The gizmo will change and have and N, U and V appear on a gizmo. Place your mouse over the N and drag and you'll notice the model will either inflate or shrink depending on the direction you move your mouse. Do this for all your parts and export those parts as your cage model. Select the Use cage option in substance and pick your cage model. Bake and see if that fixes your bake issues.

Another thing you might have to change are the ambient occlusion bake options.

• GarethStandfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarethStandfield polycounter lvl 3
    The uvs seem too have these issues all over them im assuming alot of them are underneath stuff as i cant see them on the mesh in most places, i have never made a cage before so ill have to look into them. i shall change the distance and rebake to see what goes down in substance ^_^