Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Animation Reel 2018 - Heavy critique needed

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello, all.

This was my final reel encompassing my work in 2018. Please have a look and share any critiques you have. This was intended to be a game animation reel, primarily, with a few cinematic clips here and there.

I'm looking for critiques not just in animation technique, but in the reel presentation and direction as well (camera work, types of movements I chose to showcase, etc). If you were an animation lead or director, what would be pluses and what would be minuses?

https://syncsketch.com/playground/3bdccb21c1c0432699882ca5e6c9089d#822698/749310

Thanks so much in advance!

Replies

• TuxedoPato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TuxedoPato polycounter lvl 4
    First impression - this seems to be a cinematic reel more than game animation. You mentioned "game animation [...] with a few cinematic clips here and there" so I'm going to assume it was intended to be a gameplay animation reel. However I see almost no gameplay here. Gameplay refers to animation that would be playable - namely things like locomotion cycles, weapon combos, obstacle traversals, etc. Bonus points if they're actually in a game engine.

Anyways, regarding the reel itself. First off, either change or get rid of the music. I silenced it immediately because it was, frankly, somewhat obnoxious (also causing me to miss the dialogue clips). I did go back and listen to the dialogue afterwards though, but if I was recruiting I probably wouldn't have bothered going back.

I'll write the rest in plus and minus form:

pluses-
    -the shot featuring Lyette is not bad; with further passes and some retiming it could be a strong piece.
    -your title card is easy to read and not superfluous

minuses-
    -if you're going for gameplay animation, there are almost no gameplay animations presented here. Disregard this if you're going for cinematics instead.
    -staging for cinematics is mediocre. There are a lot of awkward cuts and meh framing. Study composition and video editing techniques.
    -obnoxious music

Personally I think you've got a ways to go with your reel. Are you on the AnimState Discord group? If you're not, I strongly suggest you join it. There's many other professional animators who frequent it and you can get lots of good feedback.

Wow I was quite blunt in my critique. To leave this on a positive note, I think you have the potential but you'll have to practice for some time more and be dedicated in giving/getting feedback. Good luck!