Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ramen Cart [Finished Marmoset rendering]

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
*Final version*

Artstation page: https://www.artstation.com/andreacantelli

*WIP thread*

Some images of the ramen cart that i'm making in Maya LT...

This is a beauty render that i'll do in Marmoset or Unreal, i'm optimizing it a little bit so if i decide to sell it in the future or do something similar i could do it without going mad...

Reference images ( i used more than the images here but i forgot to save them ): 

Replies

• icegodofhungary
    Offline / Send Message
    icegodofhungary interpolator
    Looking good so far. The only thing I could critique is the papers/cloths hanging from the awning. Maybe flip/mirror them for some variation so they don't look like copies.
  • Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good so far. The only thing I could critique is the papers/cloths hanging from the awning. Maybe flip/mirror them for some variation so they don't look like copies.
    Thanks for the tip, i'll change them a little bit
  • Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    Added normal dishes, modified the fabric signs that are hanging from the awning so they are different from each other, added stools just for the sake of it, added beverage cartons.

• Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    Model finished. I'll start the texturing process.

• Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished texturing the cart, cart frame and the stools.
    There are some design changes that i want to make to the textures but i'll do them when i start texturing the props.

Here are some renders, obviously the light is a WIP, i just threw into Marmoset a directional light+omni light to showcase the meshes.
    The HDRI will probably remain thought, it's the Tokyo Takeshita. I also have some HDRI images on my HDD featuring japan cities, i'll try them out when i'll go into the rendering stage.

• Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know how to add smoke effects in Marmoset ? I was thinking to add some smoke for the ramen soup. I know that i can import a flipbook with the plugin but i was looking for another way.
  • Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished texturing the props and i placed some spot lights and a directional light to start setting up the mood. I want it to be in a central urban area during sunset surrounded by  lot of artificial lights of the buildings.
    It is quite hard to lit the props on the table because the pillars, furnitures and the hanging signs block the light.
    I'm also used to lit indoor scenes and it is also the first time that i use Marmoset Toolbag to render something that is not a single prop, so it's all new to me.

I also discovered that you can save final renders at the qulity that you set up while being in the speedy viewport mode, that's a life saver for me that i have only a GTX 950 and when i set the voxel resolution to high i start lagging.

Some renders of the light WIP: 

I noticed that the text on the lanterns are barely visible so i'll change them as well as the positioning of the camera of the first render.

• Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update for the lights. I changed the spot light of the lantern to an omni light, added another spot light at the front right of the cart and played around with the various settings of the skylight, hdri and artificial lights of the scene.
    For the hdri i kept the Tokyo Takeshita that comes with Toolbag.
    I'm working on the brightness at the moment although i started to give some color to the various spot lights to start establishing the mood.

As you can see from the first image one of the light cast a sligthly orange color, another one a more intense red and the one in the front a light purple.
    The skylight is a light pink, maybe i'll change it.
    I also fixed the text of the lanterns and i discovered that one of them had different UVs so my text was upside down, lol.

I'm not satisfied with the bright light casted on the table by the omni so i'll try to tone it down a bit.
    I'm also planning to add a floor under the cart. Maybe asphalt+sidewalk.
    I also need to fix the glass of the soy bottle that for some reason behave strangely.
  • Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm almost there, some updates:

I wanted to try out a new retopo workflow from Zbrush--> Maya that i tested out on the stones of the floor and it worked well.
  • Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished, final renderings after Post FX:

Remember to check out my Artstation page: https://www.artstation.com/andreacantelli
  • JesseL
    Offline / Send Message
    JesseL polycounter lvl 5
    Looks good although a little too clean, if you were to redo this I would put some more time into the smaller details. Like soup splashes on the inside of the bowl and food spill's on the bench itself. Try to tell a story as in put yourself in the view of a consumer, where would the wear be, the splashes then the owner. What would you clean and what wouldnt you, what damage etc...

Also always play with levels and curves to get your entire dynamic range

Hope to see more projects from you in the future

• Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    JesseL said:
    Looks good although a little too clean, if you were to redo this I would put some more time into the smaller details. Like soup splashes on the inside of the bowl and food spill's on the bench itself. Try to tell a story as in put yourself in the view of a consumer, where would the wear be, the splashes then the owner. What would you clean and what wouldnt you, what damage etc...

Also always play with levels and curves to get your entire dynamic range

Hope to see more projects from you in the future

Thanks for the critiques, i'm still not used to levels and tone mapping, i need to practice more.
    Regarding the bowls with the soup that are too clean you are probably right. While working on this piece i was thinking "ok, i want to make the cart very old and a bit rusty but i want the dishes to be clean because that's what the clients will use and the owner is proud of his food" but i ended up making all the dishes clean even the ones that are in use...eheh
  • JesseL
    Offline / Send Message
    JesseL polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah I wasnt used to it either but after using it a few times you wonder to yourself why you didnt do it sooner

Thats a good idea, maybe look at the inverse with that idea. So the eating and cooking area is mostly spotless while the rest of the cart isnt in the best of condition. Just so there is a contrast/variation for people to follow