Home Technical Talk

What Focal length is universally used and why?

gene098
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
gene098 polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys recently got ZBrush updated to 2019 and found out that it has a universal camera with focal length and everything….

Now this is in regards to sculpting something like a character….

- My question is what do you guys set your Focal length to and why?

=======================================================================================

- Im interested in if people set the focal length to match the human eyes focal length of 50

- Or to 35 to match Mayas default persp cameras focal length

- Or if theres another value that somehow translates well across all 3D applications when creating something like a short film

- Im also wondering if there are any who currently work in the industry or know of those who do,
What do those in the indudtry or in a production studio for a short film set their focal lengths to when modeling their characters?
Is there a reason for setting it to that specific focal length?

Replies

• carrottoptw
    Offline / Send Message
    carrottoptw polycounter lvl 4
    Yes, I'd be curious to know this as well... best focal length for a character without getting a stretched look.  I've imported my camera from zbrush to maya but the results in maya don't seem to be exactly how I view it in Zbrush
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Not a professional, but what I've heard from professionals and what makes sense to me is to get as close to whatever perspective you will be using in your final render engine.

In other words, have zbrush on one screen and toolbag/unity/unreal/offline render on the other screen, and tune zbrush to get as close as possible. But don't stop there. Regularly send your decimated sculpt over to your final render engine to assess it there because there will always be small discrepancies.

I don't think there is a universal standard. In several different tutorials/talks I've heard different "top" artist say different things about perspective. And of course each person is saying so like its the final truth. But they are all making great art... My hunch is that you just use what feels right for you (for the sculpting), but make sure you are checking in your render engine to be sure its looking how it needs to look.