Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] [UE4] Snow Siege

Replies

• Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I'm back! And on further review, I'm still right about the auroras :) Follow @aclund3 and you're golden.

I think everything else looks great. As I kept scrolling, I saw the details and story finally start to appear on the castle walls via mesh paint and decals. Something to play with if you want to (I don't know how much it'll add to the scene vs. how much time you have in your life) is finding a way to have snow accumulate on your castle. I think, just a little hint of it, might really just make everything look that much better. Same with those trees. I think you can pull it off in the shader with minimal re-work of anything.

Finally, I don't know if it's some over-powered AO or not, but I think the darks in the screenshots are maybe 15% filled with too much contrast. 

Really awesome work all in all. 
  • JonJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonJo interpolator
    @aclund3
    Thank you both for your crit. I'll work on the aurora effect, I originally planned for it to balance the colours and to support the composition, might have gone a little overkill with the emissive though! I'll play around with lowering it's intensity and blurring the texture slightly to remove some detail. 

@Rurouni Strife  
    I'll look into adding extra snow meshes onto the castle and increasing the build up on the walls if I can. As for the foliage, I've experimented with adding snow in the shaders, but I can try experiment with painting some snow into the albedo maybe. I plan to get it finished by Friday or Saturday, so we shall see! I'll work on lowering the AO by a touch just to balance out the values, I think you're spot on there. 

Thank you both again for the crit and the kind words <3

• JonJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonJo interpolator
    Hey Polycount, just wrapped this piece up :) It's been a bumpy journey on this project, and although this piece never quite got where I wanted it to, I feel like I can happily say it's finished. I look forward to moving on and starting some new projects.

Thank you all again for the feedback and support along the way, it's been a massive help <3

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/e0ZBYZ

• jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    I was kinda meh on this project when it first started, but man, it really came out great! Nice work and congrats on the gig at CA.
  • JonJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonJo interpolator
    @jStins Gotta admit I'm still very meh on it. It's been a super bumpy project and I've struggled to find flow with it due to personal life. Looking forward to going back to some smaller pieces soon. Cheers for the support and your honesty though dude, means a lot!