Home Technical Talk

World of Wacraft 3D model style

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello,
After years of loves for video games and arts, I finally decide to start my future path in 3D modelling. I just started courses online and practicing with Blender but my ultimate goal since I'm a child is to work at Blizzard in World of Warcraft. I don't know yet which one do I prefer; environment or character model, but right now I have a little more love for the environment. The thing is as a new person I want to focus my expertise into the style of World of Warcraft since I always loved this kind of art. I tried to look through the internet and most of the time I see people saying it's a low poly style. I wanted to know if I practice, should I try to look for tutorials in low poly or high poly and then, later on, start going low poly? 
Thank you

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    If you're just starting out concentrate on making things the right shape.

Low poly/high poly, baking, any other techniques are utterly irrelevant until you can make a model look the way you want it to. 
  • Dumbanana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dumbanana polycounter lvl 11
    If you're young, and just getting started in art, your future self will benefit greatly from taking foundation drawing or even sculpting classes, as all those principles will greatly help you in your digital art future.  There are lots of great resources available online for those, but if you can, going in person to a small class will help you more initially, and later you can transition to online tutorials and such for self-learning.

As for your main question, since are you new to 3D modeling in general, I would recommend focusing on low-poly skills to better understand the technical aspect (polygons/ triangles, UV layout, edge flow, rigging, deformation, materials, textures etc). Your understanding of high-poly is very independent of technical limitations at this point in time (software now is amazing) and is much more dependent on your own personal artistic skills, which is why I suggested the art foundation classes earlier.

Well, those are my thoughts, I'm sure others will chime in too! Also, this thread might be better in General Discussion.  Good luck going forward. Another tip from me to you would be to stay disciplined. You'll experience highs and lows going forward, but power through, haha!
  • Rayane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I will try to make my projects look the way I want, thank you poopipe.
    And wow, thank you so much Dumbanana for the tips. Since I started entering the wonderful world of 3D, I keep seeing online people saying that the best thing to do in this career, is to go to forums, ask questions or make new connections, and it's true it does help! :) 
    So thank you very much, and I will try to find some drawing classes to practice my art skill to like you said, will help me greatly since it is the foundation.