Home Unreal Engine

Newbie Problem with LightMaps

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Gail_Blitzy polycounter lvl 8

So!

As you can see, I'm having trouble with light maps (it also helps that Unreal keeps telling me that I have LMaps overlapping)

I have tried Auto-Generating and I can't get any of the settings to change
I tried creating a 2nd set of UVs using 3DsMax and not it's got 6 UV channels and I'm not sure how, and I'm not sure how to delete the others and or get Unreal to only pick one of the UV channels.

Really stuck with this, the only way I can see fixing this is to start from scratch (which would really set me back)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    I would delete the object from the UE4 scene and then go into max check how many UV channels you have created. Create 2 one normal and then one optimized for Lightmass. Then import the object fresh, select do not generate Lightmass UVs on import. Go into the object settings and point the lightmass at your second set of UV's. Have a decent resolution of 1024. 
  • Gail_Blitzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gail_Blitzy polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Jaker, thanks for the help.

I tried what you suggested and I was still having problems. After a bit more tinkering It seemed the problem was in 3DsMax not correctly remembering the 2nd channel I created (I moved the object into Maya to use the tools there and got a better result).
    And my 2nd issue seemed to be when I was exporting as a .obj file
    Again, was the formet was having issues remebering the 2nd set of UVs.

I ended up exporting my object as an .fbx from Maya and (so far) that seems to have done the tick.
  • jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    @Gail_Blitzy Good to hear you getting better results. We all have to live and learn.