Home Technical Talk

[Maya] Can't figure out why my IK handle and rig keep bending in during waist rotations

Turbopasta
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Turbopasta polycounter lvl 5

Hey there, I've been stuck on this for hours and would appreciate some help.

I've got a humanoid rig all setup, but I'm just showing the parts that I'm stuck with in the screenshots. Basically, every time I have the character rotate their waist, with their arms and IK handle parented to it, things rotate around it in a weird way. 

I have three selection curves for the waist. Currently with how it's set up, if I select the top curve, the arm's IK bends in, and I'm pretty sure everything squishes down because I can see handles getting thinner when I turn at a 90 degree angle sideways.

If I select the middle curve, I have the same problem. It selects everything above it, but then squishes on rotation.

Only if I select the bottom curve does everything seem to work properly. I have absolutely no idea why this is happening.

It should be noted that I have all my arm curves in groups. I don't normally do this but I had curves that had to be resting at weird angles, so I did it like this so that I could zero out all of my curves to reset the model back. Deleting history doesn't seem to do anything to help. 

Any help or advice I could get would be terrific, thanks

Replies

• Turbopasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turbopasta polycounter lvl 5

Alright so apparently I suffer from chronic blindsightedness because I just went back and made new curves and for whatever reason these ones work just fine. 

I still would like to understand what happened here if only to avoid it in the future