Home Adobe Substance

Strange shadowing on Normal bake

I have spent the last two months working on a big project - modelling, UV mapping and texturing my assets to later import into Poser and Daz Studio. I am new to content creation so I am still ironing out the process of my pipeline and learning a lot on the way. I'm presently texturing the first batch of 10 assets and I have encountered a strange issue in Substance Painter when I bake my high poly to my low poly mesh for my Normal map.

The first screen cap is of my low poly mesh when I first import it into Substance Painter. There are no strange artifacts and the mesh looks normal.

However, when I bake my high poly mesh to my low poly, I get this strange shadowing on the edges of the bricks where they have a neighbour. The outer edges of my bricks don't get this.

I have tried adjusting the settings in the Bake screen, the Max Frontal Distance and Max Rear Distance, going from the default 0.01 to 0.10 with no noticeable difference. If anything, I think 0.10 made the interfacing worse.

I have tried both Match and By Mesh Name on the Match setting, and for Antialiasing I have gone through the default to 2x2, 4x4a and 8x8.

I have divided the mesh into 10 texture sets and these have imported correctly. There are no overlapping UV islands.

Since I am a new Substance user (this is only my second asset to texture and the first was no problem at all) I don't know what else I can try with the settings on the bake, what is causing the artifacting, if there is a problem with my meshes or if it is a setting I am overlooking in Substance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.