Home Career & Education

Awesome youtube channel for art fundamentals

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
Check this guy's channel out. This is some of the best instruction I've heard anywhere covering art fundamentals. Check out his "10 minutes to better painting" series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PRiM1LAh2U

Replies

• Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    Tits, bro. Thanks for sharing!
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Hmm...yeah nice one, a practical fun introductory series for a novice, which usually learning traditional fundamentals at home can evoke a glazed eye sense of grind but par for the course if scratching away with stylus or graphite stick rocks your world.

Heh!...had a bit of a chuckle at 10:24mins in,  Good Shapes - 10 Minutes To Better Painting - Episode 4 when he spoke about tracing the source has a "dirty connotation" however for the beginner is a great way of analysing shapes/volumes and edges, which I'm an inherently enthused advocate for as a classically trained Portraitist, besides 15th century Renaissance Masters during the course of their apprenticeship plus working life employed the exact same techniques.

Anyway such adverse attitudes persist due in the main too a vocal uninitiated 'puritan' elite where copying and/or tracing an image is seen as a stoning offence O_o          

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

He's always advocating drawing from life. I haven't been through all of his videos yet but probably his number one recommendation I've picked up is to study from life. Some of my favorite videos are where he recreates a painting he had made in the field, talking about his focus, mindset, methods, etc.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Yes indeed, Plein Air painting/drawing:

"Leaving the four walls of your studio behind and experiencing painting and drawing in the landscape. The practice goes back for centuries but was truly made into an art form by the French Impressionists."

or

Figurative Life Drawing:

"Drawing of the human form in any of its various shapes and postures using any of the drawing media."

However beginners must first attune themselves with the actual 'mechanics' of drawing in terms of then acquiring the basics traditional fundamentals will definitely impart, which I've previously addressed here.

• Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Marco, has awesome stuff! 
    For any folks who dig books or audiobooks he's got a great book called Creativity and the Campfire.  Just a solid dive into being creativity and all the pitfalls and struggles that come with it.  
    https://marcobucciartstore.com/products/audio-book-creativity-and-the-campfire
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In one of his videos, he reads about 20-30mins of excerpts from it. I really enjoyed it, so I'll probably buy that book. Got to support people putting out quality content like this.
  • ryanwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryanwolf polycounter lvl 3
    this videos are awesome