Home Technical Talk

Textools Mirror UV function equivalent Max 2018?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
So it seems as though TexTools officially does not function anymore with me swapping over to 2018 (mostly due to some super nasty bugs in 2017 I was sick of trying to work around) and now i'm in a quandry. I used it quite extensively and I'm very frustrated with things, so I was wondering if there's any equivalent ways to do the functions I'm looking for or not. I did grab PolyUnwrapper and gave it a try, and while it gets me most of the other important functions, I'm stuck without this.
Largely, i'm wanting to know about Mirror UV Hull, as that was the tool in it I used the most. (aside from pipe mapping but that seems to be not quite as awful to do?) I've been looking around for a whole day and so far I've found zero plugins, scripts, or documentation on new features in 2018 that would allow me to perform this specific function as plainly as Textools did.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't remember what that tool did. Can you summarize?

UVW Unwrap does have a mirror tool in the Edit UVW window. 

It also has Spline mapping in the modifier panel, which probably does what the pipe tool did in Textools. 
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
    basically, it did similiar to the symmetrize feature in Maya. allowing you to be 100% certain that everything on the UV Hull is symmetrical despite having two sides to the hull.

The long way around this is UVmapping only one half of an object by cutting it in half and doing a symmetry modifier after finishing the UVmap, then going in again and piecing the two parts back together. not only is this tedious, but it also makes it harder to keep the intended middle seam straight like you need it to be. doing a pelt map or peel also doesn't get you exactly where you need to be, as the pelt mapper is bad to introduce lots of messy vertex placements, and peel introduces tons of distortion that you can't always control well.
    Basically, not having this one tool is making a simple task into a long, annoying one.