Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3d modeling help - Avoid pinching in 3d models

I am modeling a diver's helmet to practice my modeling skills and I have encountered a problem with the edges that generates pinching in the model, does anyone know how I could relax that area by moving the edges?

Replies

• AndresZambrano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresZambrano polycounter lvl 3
    You have to add extra edge loops around the intersection.
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    I'm not sure what you mean by pinching exactly but I have some general knowledge about the subdivision workflow you seem to be using. Subdivision wants to smooth everything out by placing new edges mathematically in the middle of the edges that are already there, and by moving the edges you have already placed to create a nice even edge-flow. To control the subdivision process, we use "holding edges" to keep things in place. The closer together you put your edges, the closer together subdivision is going to put it's edges, and the tighter everything will look.

If the pinching you are referring to is something being to smooth or curvy, add a holding edge. If it's that something is too sharp or angular, remove a holding edge. The fun part of subdivision preview is putting in your holding edges and sliding them around to see how sharp or smooth you can make each corner. Just be sure to jump back to low poly view often to make sure your edge flow doesn't get too weird.

• vekor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure what you mean by pinching exactly but I have some general knowledge about the subdivision workflow you seem to be using. Subdivision wants to smooth everything out by placing new edges mathematically in the middle of the edges that are already there, and by moving the edges you have already placed to create a nice even edge-flow. To control the subdivision process, we use "holding edges" to keep things in place. The closer together you put your edges, the closer together subdivision is going to put it's edges, and the tighter everything will look.

If the pinching you are referring to is something being to smooth or curvy, add a holding edge. If it's that something is too sharp or angular, remove a holding edge. The fun part of subdivision preview is putting in your holding edges and sliding them around to see how sharp or smooth you can make each corner. Just be sure to jump back to low poly view often to make sure your edge flow doesn't get too weird.

Thanks for the help, it has helped me to realize how to solve the problem I had
  • vekor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have to add extra edge loops around the intersection.
    Thanks for the help  ;)

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    @vekor Cool I'm glad I could help.