Home Technical Talk

3d real time room planner app

MikeG
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
MikeG polycounter lvl 4
Hey,
I recently I noticed this pretty nice feature on the B&Q website (for non UK people out there its a large DIY supplies store), which allows you to create a 3D room in real time by generating procedural walls and dragging and dropping existing models to furnish it.

Also has windows which have some emmissive material set up I guess. The real trick or thing I find the most impressive is how it generates a render so quickly so you can view the room and layout you just created. Does anyone know how this is achieved? I'm very curious as I have an interior designer client who would like to have something similar. I can do something like the room layout designer part in Unity but not sure how to achieve the photo real look in the rendered part as it appears to be vray or similar. Would love to know if anyone has any ideas on how this is done.
Thanks!

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Seems like it is doing a quick and dirty offline render. I wouldn't be surprised if they could render out the 360 view in about 10 seconds on a GPU render on a server using iray or something similar. Doesn't seem to be any GI, I think the windows are just turning into rectangle lights. It still works on mobile, so that really makes it seem like it renders out the image on a server. 
  • MikeG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeG polycounter lvl 4
    Hmm, but how can it take it from an editor like Unity, and then produce a render? Would it be two sets of models - one for real time placement in the editor, and then using some automated process render with 3D rendering package like max using the location data?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It's probably just a webGL app since that would make the most sense in this context.   

do a bit of research and you'll work out how it's possible to achieve something like this   
  • MikeG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeG polycounter lvl 4
    Already have a webGL version working for the room layout- but not sure how to make the leap to create vray renders virtually real time.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I'd guess they're doing a better quality render in engine rather than dicking around with an offline renderer.  
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the 360 render is not up to offline quality. It looks like a simple 1-bounce global illum render, done as a cubemap. This is fairly easy to make, there should be some related libraries on GitHub or similar to start with. 
  • MikeG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeG polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the responses. I too thought it must be an in engine render - it makes sense and is easier to produce than using another external package. Just wanted to see what others thought in case there was a pipeline I wasn’t aware of to achieve the results of the 360 render. Its not exactly up to the usual photo real vray standard as you have mentioned but certainly does enough to get the job done.