Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Industrial Revolution Coal Miner Child

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
ChiNguyen greentooth
I've been dabbling with realistic modeling and texturing. I came up with this industrial revolution coal miner boy. It's really hard getting colorized references so Ive been going off what materials they used for clothes. I haven't applied any hair, real eyebrows,or eye lashes to him yet so he's gonna be bald for a little while. Any kind of feedback or comments is appreciated!

Here's how the face is looking with and without the soot and grime. The face is my biggest concern. Getting the shading and color right has been a really big challenge and so far I don't think I'm there yet.

Here's some references I'm going off for clothes.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Clothes would most likely be wool or cotton, I expect. Check out Filson clothing company -- they make clothes with 19th century materials and styles.

If realism is the goal, I think spending more time getting more layers of secondary forms in the face and the clothing will go a long way. It's tough with children because there isn't all these big plane changes and wrinkles, but pay special attention to the eyes, the brow, the skull. May help to use reference of some kid you actually know, or have lots of video of.

The hands definitely need to be touched up. They look like a babies hands with the chunky wrist. Poor coal miner should be skinny.

Cool project, I'm looking forward to more progress.