Home Technical Talk

Questions About Modeling for Animation

node
Offline / Send Message
MeowMoo node
Hi guys,
I am wondering what's the correct (or, the industry standard) workflow when modeling for animation. Especially for animation involves both low poly and high poly version, cloth and hair simulation.

I usually model my character under 10K polys, and make Xgen hair in the same file. Then I create a new scene to rig it by referencing the model file. When I am ready to anime I create another scene and reference the rig file. For simulation I cache out the character and create a new scene for cloth sim, and export that cloth sim cahce back to the animation scene and do the hair simulation (because I don't know how to cache the hair simulation..)

Am I referencing my file too many times? I think I am not doing this in the right way...I would be more than happy to see any suggestions. Thank you!

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    If it does work for you its fine. There is no golden rule how to setup your files.
    We have the geo file referenced into the rig file. And reference the rig file into the shot.

xGen hair is created on a scalp geo and imported into the shot. A more complex way is to work with xgen delta files.
    But you wont go that route without a good TD.