Home Technical Talk

Options for tiled texturing a character whose scale changes dramatically

halbe
null
Offline / Send Message
halbe null
I need to make an enemy that can be any size from an average human to a kilometer-tall colossus, the texturing/shading style can be anything I want. Here are the options I can think of:
  1. No texture with some cel-shading, not ideal since I would prefer to be able to give it detail
  2. Seamless tiled texture but have to find some way to cover up the UV seams, not ideal since they don't wear clothes so I'd do something weird like turn the seams into a weird tattoo design (which would be pitch black to hide the seams). Also, due to the fact that I'll be using tessellation to keep the polygon density consistent as it scales up it'd be nice to be able to have a seamless displacement map for additional detail.
Is there an option 3? I'd guess that I could do something with materials to add some interesting procedural detail. Can this be done in a way that avoids the need for UVs? If so that'd be better than option 2 since it would be independent of proportions, so a version of the enemy with really big arms would have the same detail density on his arms as one with small arms.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    You can use a tiled texture but blend it with a larger texture. So you have one giant texture for large scale details and tiled textures for the smaller details. This needs a shader designed to blend two textures together. 
  • halbe
    Offline / Send Message
    halbe null
    You can use a tiled texture but blend it with a larger texture. So you have one giant texture for large scale details and tiled textures for the smaller details. This needs a shader designed to blend two textures together. 
    The seams would still be noticeable, no? Unless you mean that the larger texture would be used to hide the seams as was described in option 2.