Home Career & Education

Looking for insight re: Imposter Syndrome

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
Taylor Brown ngon master
Title sums it up but I'll elaborate. I just recently was given the opportunity to fulfill what has been in the back of my mind as a daydream. I'm now working alongside seriously bad ass artists with what feels like an objectively far higher level of skill and quality in their work. I'm super happy but also kind of freaking the f*ck out that I won't be able to hit the bar. Are there any junior artists or more experienced artists out there who have had to deal with these initial feelings?

halp

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    They chose to include you. Just keep going. Feelings come and go. Use them for whatever they are worth. If imposter syndrome drives you to work harder -- good. If it takes you into problematic perfectionism -- bad. If it makes you procrastinate -- turn the brain off, jump into the work.

Also, let others judge your work, not yourself.

When I was 18 I trained for a year to do mixed martial arts, and I competed in an amateur competition. My opponent was a 30 year old marine with 7 years of training.. I had no expectations of winning. But when we touched gloves before the match, I saw in his face that he was nervous, just like me. I capitalized on that by going full tilt 110% aggressive on him, and I knocked him out in 3 minutes.

So, don't be intimidated. Everybody is just like you. Just look for ways to empower the team and you'll be fine.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I'd recommend focusing on the idea that they're okay with paying you for what you're doing there, then that's enough qualification and you're supposed to be tthere.

Emphasis on focusing.

Perhaps a saving grace is that the rapidity of production will just force you to not have time to let the syndrome have attention.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    as a junior you will always be a bit worried that you won't make it, but you made it this far so don't worry. just try and absorb as much a possible and don't burn yourself out.

(When I do terrible artwork I pretend that an imposter did it not me:) works better this way i think)
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Thanks guys. I know I'll get over these feelings. More than anything I'm excited at everything ill learn from this experience. Just need to stay humble and allow myself time to adjust. I don't feel like throwing up anymore 😃
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Congrats on the opportunity Taylor. The other posters are right. You got this opportunity for a reason so just do your best and enjoy the ride. Even senior artists are not immune to impostor syndrome. 
  • tomr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll just echo what everyone else has said, remember that you're there, you were chosen for a reason.

Also, though, if someone asks a question in your team that you know the answer to, don't hesitate to answer it. It's difficult because you tend to always second guess yourself in those situations, but if you're sure you know the answer, you probably do (because you're a professional). Feels good to help someone in a professional context, especially someone you perceive as your senior, and I found it to be a really big boost in confidence. 

Basically, just be proactive. 
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    Congrats, understand it's a mindset issue and your mind is going overdrive as everything is new and unfamiliar so it's understandable to dwell on negative thoughts. If it starts happening take a break and try and clear your mind.

Also get regular feedback on your work or quick check ins with your lead just to help reassure you are going in the right direction.

After a while you'll get in the groove of things and in sync with the production pipeline and hopefully no more negative thoughts.

Here's 2 useful short videos (There's a few more on their channel):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIW1Xt5l2T8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pHB0CgRBHg&t=
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    @Ex-Ray wise words. Thank you for the vids, they helped.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Just chill and embrace the fact that you are surrounded with skilled people, you can learn a ton from them and become as good as they are.