Home Adobe Substance

substance painter height adjustment....

Really hoping someone can help me out here.
I'm using the trial version of substance painter (seeing if i want to buy it) so far i love it, except for one issue, which is putting me off completely,
this issue is.... as best as i can explain (not sure how i would take pictures of it, i guess maybe a video would work, but for now just a worded explanation)

so my project is a shirt, and I'm trying to add  stitches to the texture.
I create a layer specifically for this, (regular paintable layer), then i select the small stitch brush, adjust it how i want it to look.
then i add stitches onto my layer. (usually diffuse and height channels enabled only)  but now i want to adjust the height,   this is the irritating part. in every single tutorial/video I've seen one can adjust the height even after painting it on and it adjusts in real time.  My version (the latest  one) is not doing this.  if i adjust the  height then repaint it shows the change, but the original first stitch stays at the height it was painted at.   This is making is really difficult to get a uniform look and causing a lot of guess and check and constant mistakes.

is there anyway to get this feature working properly like i see in all videos. 

i always see people paint what they want where they want it then adjust the height after. But alas i can't do this.

If anyone has suggestions, or if there are particular settings i need enabled that maybe i'm missing.   I even did a clean reinstall and it still continued.   

any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Replies

• sickbunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried getting older versions, and those also do not allow me to do what i see everyone else able to do.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    I almost always use masks and fill layers to accomplish what you're describing. Create the fill layer, and set the values for each channel however you like. Then, create a black mask on that layer, and paint only on the mask. You can then go back and make adjustments to the fill layer. You can build up complex materials by grouping layers and then applying a mask to the entire group.
  • sickbunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much.   all the tutorials and videos i watched didn't show using a fill layer,  they always just said layer.... 
    mush appreciated,, it does exactly what i need it to do :)