Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4 Scene close to finish

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
scnd22 polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys, I'm close to finishing this small scene I'm working on. I would love some feedback, still have to do proper uvs for the puppet and fix the wall material.

Replies

• Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    from what i can see its looking pretty cool. id revisit the roughness on the table, chair, paint palette and windowsill. they all look like they are near full black.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    its coming along quite well, there seem to be some scale issues - place a real sized human next to all your assets and see if they fit in the hand properly eg hammer compared to paintbrush or mug compared to candle they all look different sizes to me. The scene seems quite sparse from this camera angle (seeing the bottom side of a shelf and a clock) maybe get a camera at about standing human head height as well and see how that looks. The shadows on the wall look a bit low quality perhaps override the standard lightmass shadow map size and make it bigger. Cheers have fun.
  • scnd22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scnd22 polycounter lvl 7
    Guys thank you very much for the feedback.
    So I tweaked the roughness as Taylor metioned, now I see that I also need to fix the under side of the clock.
    I also checked the scaling on the props. I know the shadows on the wall are of low resolution but I'll leave it like that for now so i can have faster bakes.
    And here's a higher angle shot, do you think that I should add more props to make the scene less sparse? (I mean I was planning to add more props but not a lot). Thanks again <3
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    quality over quantity is always something to keep in mind. work on your AO, some of your props in the foreground look like they floating above the table. i'd stick with the higher angle as well. looking better!
  • scnd22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scnd22 polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you Taylor, I'll see how  I can fix this.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
  • scnd22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scnd22 polycounter lvl 7
    That looks awesome, I'm already downloading it!
  • scnd22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scnd22 polycounter lvl 7
    Ok here is an update of the scene.
    I think it is finished, if you think there is somethink that I should add, remove or fix let me know.
  • grimmrobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grimmrobe polycounter lvl 9
    Hi there,

I saw this and wondered whether you could make more of the narrative and composition in this scene & give it a bit more of a focal point at the moment my eye is drawn to the high contrast empty space in the middle of the image. A few thoughts

- loaded pallete, but nothing has been painted?
    - loosing a lot of the scene in those dark shadows
    - somehow doesn’t feel like an area where somebody was just working
    - could you include some elements that indicate that the scene extends beyond the boundaries of the render.

I did a very quick PO (hope that’s okay) with just a couple of ideas.

• scnd22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scnd22 polycounter lvl 7
    grimmrobe said:
    Hi there,

I saw this and wondered whether you could make more of the narrative and composition in this scene & give it a bit more of a focal point at the moment my eye is drawn to the high contrast empty space in the middle of the image. A few thoughts

- loaded pallete, but nothing has been painted?
    - loosing a lot of the scene in those dark shadows
    - somehow doesn’t feel like an area where somebody was just working
    - could you include some elements that indicate that the scene extends beyond the boundaries of the render.

I did a very quick PO (hope that’s okay) with just a couple of ideas.

Oh man, thank very much for taking the time to do this! I usually don't like to go back and adjust something I already uploaded in my artstation but I agree with you. I definitely have to justify the colors on the pallete and add something on the left corner so it seems like the scene continuous, I don't know if I want to bring the puppet forward but I'll also try to think of a way to solve that empty space.
  • scnd22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scnd22 polycounter lvl 7