Home Career & Education

Anatomy Courses

Hi there! 

I was wondering if anyone could help me in picking some anatomy courses to take.

To preface, I have an intermediate understanding of anatomy, I've done some self learning from Glen Vilppu's figure drawing course on NMA, and I also attend weekly life drawing classes. I would describe my understanding of anatomy as being familiar with the forms and some muscle groups, and familiar with the skeleton, but I could only guess at the most important landmarks and how the whole 'thing' interacts with itself. I also couldn't name the muscles or bones. Essentially I've learn from observation, and I would like to follow a more structured course with feedback.

The courses I'm currently interested in are CGMA's 'Anatomy for Production', 'Analytical Figure Drawing', and 'Figure Drawing: Anatomy of Style'. I'm also looking at Scott Eatons courses. 

I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience with one or more of these, or anyone who has some other course recommendations for me. I really like the look of Scott Eatons courses, but I want to take the feedback one which is sold out, and the next intake isn't until the middle of June. It's not a problem waiting, but if the CGMA courses compare, it would be nice to take one of those instead, as there's spaces available for spring intake.

Also, does anyone have any experience with standard enrolment in Scott Eaton's classes? 

Cheers! 

(My focus is 3D character art, so these courses are to aid primarily in that)

Replies

• rinz
    Offline / Send Message
    rinz polycounter lvl 4
    you could do a $10 course on udemy and learn the same things as CGMA
  • tomr
    rinz said:
    What course on Udemy would you recommend? 

If that was my budget, I'd probably just use the Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist in conjunction with youtube videos/discussions on forums. I've essentially done that for four months in conjunction with figure drawing classes, which is great, but there's a lot to be said for taking courses with industry professionals who provide feedback. 
  • jim
    Offline / Send Message
    jim polycounter lvl 18
  • rinz
    Offline / Send Message
    rinz polycounter lvl 4
    tomr said:
    rinz said:

If that was my budget, I'd probably just use the Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist in conjunction with youtube videos/discussions on forums. I've essentially done that for four months in conjunction with figure drawing classes, which is great, but there's a lot to be said for taking courses with industry professionals who provide feedback. 
    I'm doing anatomy for figure drawing. I don't know how good it is, its my first anatomy resource
  • tomr
    jim said:
    Stan Prokopenko's anatomy series  is excellent, and his paid anatomy tutorials go even further in-depth.
    I have been meaning to check Proko's paid courses out, might do so at some point.

rinz said:
    tomr said:
    rinz said:

I'm doing anatomy for figure drawing. I don't know how good it is, its my first anatomy resource
    Ahhh okay, I'll check it out then. Hope it goes well for you!

Ended up enrolling onto the standard version of Scott Eaton's course. Would be cool to hear from anyone else who has experience with the course. 

Would also be nice to hear about more anatomy resources if anyone has any suggestions, I've got quite a few books and seen quite a few of the 'major' resources I think, but maybe someone knows some hidden gems.

Also, resources specifically aimed at 3D sculpting.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    I can't recommend Scott Eaton's courses enough. I took both his Anatomy for Artists, and then his Digital Figure Sculpture courses. As long as you watch lectures and do all of the assignments, you will learn a ton. Post your assignments here on Polycount for critiques. You wont be disappointed.

As far as other resources go, anything by George Bridgman is gold, I also highly recommend Philippe Faraut's books, and if you can, get your hands on anything by Gottfried Bammes. 
  • tomr
    I can't recommend Scott Eaton's courses enough. I took both his Anatomy for Artists, and then his Digital Figure Sculpture courses. As long as you watch lectures and do all of the assignments, you will learn a ton. Post your assignments here on Polycount for critiques. You wont be disappointed.

As far as other resources go, anything by George Bridgman is gold, I also highly recommend Philippe Faraut's books, and if you can, get your hands on anything by Gottfried Bammes. 
    I ended up signing up for Scott Eaton's anatomy for artists, first week started today. Planning on taking Digital Figure Sculpture after too. I didn't think of posting assignments on Polycount, I may well do that.

I've come across Bridgman, but not Faraut or Bammes, I'll definitely check them out, cheers for the recommendations!