Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anubis Mecha - University Project

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hey guys, this is my first time posting here :smile:

This is a project I've been working on for a 3 months and it is finally finish to the best of my current abilities. 

The task was to create a mech based on a piece of concept art and my choice was the "Anubis - God Within Steel" concept art by Hui Zou. 
Created in 3DS Max with the overall of 84k triangles, textured in Substance Painter and rendered in Unreal Engine 4. 

Any feedback and Critique would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    first off well done on driving the project to a finish, you have tackled one of the major hurdles in doing that. Now you can sit back and learn and digest what you want to do better next time.

It looking like you worked well with the skills you have, the very angular nature of the work works in your favor. You have good consistence across the piece which is nice, but i think its to angular and some of the forms need rounding off in areas. The chest needs to be better defined by breaking up the pieces and have separate geo and not just painted on normal map seams and different coloured textures. Same with the head you can spend more polys on it and define each part instead of trying to combine the whole head into one mesh, break them apart.  

Texturing seems reasonable, but could work on your roughness values, it looks a little muddy. 

Well done on the whole and no doubt you have learn't from it.