Home Technical Talk

Marvelous Designer Exports At Huge Scale In Maya!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Deqa polycounter lvl 9
I exported a mesh avatar from Blender at 180cm (1.80m in Blender's 'Metric' Unit System) and imported it into Marvelous. Measured the avatar in Marvelous at the same scale (1766mm whereabouts). However, when I export my cloth sim from Marvelous to Maya (which is using the 'Centimeters' Unit System), the cloth mesh and its UV's (flat 2D export) are huge / out of scale in the UV editor and the mesh itself is 10x larger than the grid.

No idea what's causing this.

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Try setting it to automatic on export.
  • Deqa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deqa polycounter lvl 9
    Try setting it to automatic on export.
    Hi Danny, thanks for your help. Are you referring to on export from MD or on import into Maya? I'm using Maya 2018 and I'm checking the documentation and I find there's an option to set 'Units' to 'Automatic' but I can't find the 'Advanced Options' menu (seems to be a 2016 feature? I could also try exporting as .FBX from MD itself but that seems to produce the same result although I haven't tried it intensely yet.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/Maya/files/GUID-4C3B7C8E-DC42-437E-B9F5-A68C330A93E9-htm.

UPDATE

Upon exporting from MD as .FBX into Maya , I get perfect scale? But the UV's on the flat panel are imported at 1.1 - 1.8 on the U + V tile axis instead of starting at 0. 

FBX EXPORT (FLAT PANELS / UV'S FIT INTO MAYA'S UV EDITOR BUT ARE IMPORTED AT 1.1 INSTEAD OF 0 ON THE U + V AXIS)

EXPORTING AS .OBJ (FLAT PANELS SCALED OUTSIDE OF MAYA'S UV EDITOR, NOT EVEN WITHIN THE TILE SYSTEM)

UPDATE 2 HRS LATER

The FBX export seems to keep my UV's not within the tile, but still at the right scale. So then I can just do what I wanna do to retopo the mesh in maya, Transfer Attributes method, etc, and THEN I can finally fix the UV's in Maya with Layout UV's > Unfold3D? So at least the scale is 1:1 with the tile upon exporting the MD mesh as FBX and I can still pack/fix the UV's in the last part of my MD > Maya retopo workflow.

The issue with FBX exports in MD remains that it exports the avatar no matter what, so I always have to remember to delete the avatar from the scene. I still don't understand why I have to do this insofar as my MD seems to be set to cm, my grid in Maya seems to be set to cm. And when the tutorial I'm using exports from their version of MD to Maya as .OBJ, everything scales fine for them! I'm using Maya 2018 and Marvelous Designer 8 Personal.

UPDATE 1 HR LATER

Set MD to use 'Centimeters' instead of 'Millimeters'... could this have been the problem all along?
  • Deqa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deqa polycounter lvl 9
    UPDATE 1 HR LATER

Set MD to use 'Centimeters' instead of 'Millimeters'... could this have been the problem all along?

MD (CM) > MAYA (CM)

With MD set to CM and Maya at CM, the import seems to be the same as at FBX, insofar as the UV's showing at 1.1 instead of 0 on the U + V axis, but that can be fixed by a simple UV repack. Issue seems to have been resolved?