Home Career & Education

Getting a game funded?

IgnitionChemistry
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
IgnitionChemistry polycounter lvl 5
Hi!
During the past 2 to 3 years, I've started working in the games industry, I've started to know more about pipelines and processes and got to know a little bit of everything that is about making a game.
I'd like to use this knowledge one day to come up with my own game. I've been looking at grant opportunities and funding from several sources and would like to ask, if anyone could advise on what kind of materials I could submit to make the project appear like an inviting investment?

As a concept artist, I thought about making pitch art(8 to 10 environments, 2-6 characters) along with a story script/ambient of the world and a detailed design document, but my question is if it's enough? Provided the idea is original and the art is good,(I'm confident they are) do you think I'd have any luck without a playable demo? or some sort of in game mock up level?
I ask because I would like to cease some funding first to then go about hiring the people I need to build the product and right now, my skill only relies in pre-production, stuff like concepts and maybe hire a story writer for a short script.

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    it's likely not enough. just bein an "idea guy" doesnt get you money, well unless you can sell REALLY well. otherwise you have to show that you are able to pull it off.
    You certainly should show something that can reflect the final output. anything thats prototype clearly has to show its prototype. But it should sell the idea that you know what you are doing and can actually deliver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LTtr45y7P0
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    There's always the odd beat option of mass appeal, like this campaign here.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/990500595/subverse
    The art is definitly great but it does have that additional element that gets you likes on artstation.etc
    While the kickstarter is SFW sort of, I wouldn't click the link to the company home page if you're in a work environment

Interestingly this campaign hasn't been featured on the gaming sites, nor was the team allowed to present at GDC, so there's that down side.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Yeah these days you’ll never get full project funding without a prototype. This goes for everyone, including established industry names. 

However, depending on where you’re based, it may be possible to get funding to build a prototype and develop the best pitch. We’ve done that a couple of times in the UK. For this, the most important material is going to be a good understanding of the marketplace and your intended games position within it. You’ll also be required to show how your game is unique and more deserving of being brought to life than all the other pitches going for the same grant. 

Often though, prototypes are simply bootstrapped - self-funded, put together by like-minded people in spare time and so on. 

When finally going for full funding, as well as a decent playable build, high on the list of vital materials is a well worked out budget and resource plan/schedule overview. You WILL be asked, even in a preliminary conversation, and it will really help your cause if you can give proper (ie not obviously plucked from thin air) answers. 

please bear in mind though - the whole process is FUCKING hard, and you need to be prepared for disappointment after disappointment followed by annoyance followed by seething followed by more disappointment before someone finally bites. Also, don’t underestimate just how drawn out the process can be. If you can’t support yourself and any contracted team members for many months during the pitch process, you’ll be in trouble. 
  • IgnitionChemistry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IgnitionChemistry polycounter lvl 5
    Good points. Thanks very much for the answers.
    I'll check out that GDC video, it seems right up what I need to listen too.

I do have a group of friends and like minded people who could work with me, they do agree it's a fresh idea for a game but I just feel bad to have people working for free or little resources I have, but I guess I'll make it up as I go.
    Anyway, great replies, I found what I came looking for, that concepts are not enough!

I may try to reach for a few funding org's in my country of residence, there's no games industry here so maybe they see a loophole that could be filled.

Thanks guys! You're awesome!
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    If you want to pitch your game to a publisher for instance, you need a so called  proof of concept. Only art wont cut it I'm afraid.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    So, I've been through this process many times, and chances are that even with a demo you won't get funded.

Funding a game is a very complicated thing, and hardly ever comes down to "one person saying yes". You're looking at a 2-3 years journey here, and things you're not even considering right now like offices, headcounts, plans for hiring more people, and so on come into play.

Start small, create something that you can release on your own or with a team of a few people.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    +1 to have a prototype.  Applied to even the stronger uni games I made back at USC.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    All the indie devs that i know of get funded through Patreon or Kickstarter. Patreon is better because you have a steady income every month but you won't probably go beyond 2k € per month in the case of a niche game.
    That's good if you are developing the game alone but if you have a team then Kickstarter is a better option.

With that said you must gather a following and make people say "WOW i wanna play that game" or "WOW i want to roam around in that place" and to do so you need to showcase some cool looking 3D environments with maybe some characters ( not needed in most cases ) to arouse the curiosity of the future players.
    Best way is to make a cinematic or a demo on YouTube and then upload more images on the social media page of the game ( or your page ) so you will start gathering a following etc.