Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mech Project (Staffs Uni 2019)

I have recently been working on a project at uni where we had to create a mech based on a existing concept and then make small tweaks to the design we also had to create a weapon to go along with said mech.
The design that i chose came from the first pacific rim film the mech called striker eureka i would then change this design by removing the blades on the wrists and replace them with one great sword that can be thrown and then retrieved via a gravity sling built in to the arm and hand, i also found another unused concept of the same mech where the solders were different so i decided to change mine to match that concept

Image i used as my reference. 

found later and like the solders more so i change them to match the concept below.

i also decided to change the leg design based on another concept for a android that i found online.

I found it quite hard to get the initial shapes right as the torso was such a weird shape which in turn resulted in a lot of time and therefor i ran out of time on creating my hi poly meaning that mech is lacking a lot of surface detail.
5cae7d5fa9304_ShotOnethumbjpg7c77b4eab34012d676525e677fa3963djpg
5cae7d7aa8663_ShotTwothumbjpg79908613fe88e1d8ca1c668b1a11fac8jpg
HighresScreenshot00004thumbjpg115f3ee6fd35d2d5818f86dc26caf48ajpg
5cae7d6e06d09_ShotThreethumbjpg1f1fe0229407ed5319892d5a5d261f97jpg
This link will show you the finished Turntable within The unreal engine 4
http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDb2Ygm2h_M&t=37s

CRITICAL EVALUATION & REFLECTION

Firstly i would like to say that i have learnt a massive amount over this semester in regards to hard surface and the unwrapping/baking process this was probably my weakest area of my hard surface modelling and i feel i have made decent strides in making better looking bakes and unwraps. I also learnt a lot about creating a master material with multiple material instances.

However overall i am slightly disappointed with my finished mech although i managed to get a better bake and unwrap i feel the whole piece is really let down by the surface details i think that the surface is quite bland and in turn makes the mech simple and boring this led to the big flat ares not really looking realistic as it would be made up of many small panels and components.

I also took way to long making my high and low ploy models although most of this time was spend trying to unwrap the mesh as i find it more boring that watching paint dry and really lacked motivation to get past this stage in the future i will definitely be unwrapping as i go and not leave it all to the end.

I am happy with how the overall diorama turned out the infinity blades ice lands pack really helped to make the scene interesting and emphasise the size of this mech in future i would like to create like and ice material that can be painted onto the mech to give it the feel as if its been in the snowstorm for a while i could do this with some sort of vertex paint or maybe just decals as its cheaper but the material would be cooler especially if it was affected by world position and applied thicker in places.