Home Technical Talk

Use of Trim Sheets, Tiled Textures or Baked Maps

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
jvicente polycounter lvl 3
Hello everyone,

So, I started a personal project, to create an environment totally game-ready in Unreal 4.
I've been testing things out with my scene, and I'm trying to create the main building in a modular way but I've been finding issues with how could I approach the texturing and baking part of it.

Here is a picture of the building that I'm using for reference.

F**king building, why did I choose this? :')

Anyway, I'm already separating it into pieces for modularity purpose, but my issue is with the texturing part. As you can see, the building has some ornaments and stuff like that, which creates my doubts about how to go in texturing this whole thing.

I know baking each modular piece would create a tremendous amount of textures that would not be good for a game-ready level. But at the same time, I'm not really sure about how Trim Sheets and Tile Textures work exactly.

So here is how I did it and where the problems started:

1. I modelled one of the walls.

2. I've used Zbrush to sculpt details for baking.

3. Then I baked the HighPoly into the Low Poly using Substance Painter and created some textures for the wall.

It works for creating a mesh with decent details on it, but I know this is not the way to do it if you can use a Tile texture of the concrete, and Trim Sheets with a normal map to create these same details.

I just don't understand how a Trim Sheet would be able to achieve broken corners like that, and how could I mix the tile texture of the concrete with the trim sheets for the details. 

I'm really hoping you guys could give me some help, tips and point to me what am I'm doing wrong and how to approach the creation of this building. I've been learning so much in the past couple of months that the more I learn more things I know how to implement, but at the same time, more doubts come to how could I approach things.

Thank you for your attention, and hoping to find some help and advice!

ps: Sorry if there are any mistakes with my spelling or grammar, English is not my native language.

Replies