Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first year into 3D

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
kawaiispacekillers polycounter lvl 6
Hello All !

i'm Julien, i was always blowed away by the skills of artists here, so after one year of studying 3D, drawing and anatomy i decided to be a part of this amazing community and contributethe best i can.

3D was a dream for me since many years but never have the time to go into it really, i decided last year tu push myself and i started with a class of Shane Olson for Stylized character, and some tutorial here and there from Marc Brunet, Simon fuchs which helped me a lot.

I am here for the goodwill of this community and I hope to help and be helped too :) don't hesitate for critics i'm open !

Thank you Guys ! 

Julien

Replies

• kawaiispacekillers
    Offline / Send Message
    There is some of my work of my finished works here :

that was my first character last year : 

if you want to see more : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ExXEq

for other screenshot : 
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/QzrK1E

more here too : 
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/JlE3Q0

And some works i'm doing actually and i just finished as training : 

a klingon inspired girl, bit disney"ish" for training and fun 

i loved really submarine animals so i'm working on a Manta ray model :

and character i'm trying to work on to improve in sculpting from concept : 

i have others works on my artstation, in case of someone want to pass by : https://www.artstation.com/kawaiispacekillers

I will continue to post about my last works here !
  • HectorLucas
    Offline / Send Message
    HectorLucas polycounter lvl 2
    Hey Kawaii impressive portfolio to be your first year. Your sculpting is good but try to finish all your pieces with textures and renders. It just does so much for presentation and doesn't require much more time once your sculpting is done. Also try to show the topology a little more. You have many sculpts but if you apply for jobs companies will also want to take a look at your topology and textures. 
  • kawaiispacekillers
    Offline / Send Message
    @HectorLucas
    Thank you ! yeah actually i'm studying more about topology, Uv and texturing on the piece i do, and rendering in toolbag. it's hard because i'm still lack of a lot of time and experience as you guess, and you are completely right, i'll try to post more topology to have feedback but i'm actually working on that :) thank you for your advice ! i'll take a good note of them all :)
  • Gustavo_Elliott
    Offline / Send Message
    Gustavo_Elliott polycounter lvl 4
    Your first Character, the manta ray and the Radio pop out to me as your best works. Are you trying to stay as a generalist? Honestly, it would probably do you good to find focus, characters or environments and props. It also depends what you are in 3D for, are you looking to get into the industry or are you just doing it for some fun and creativity? If you just do it because you enjoy it then I would recommend you stay your course, but if you really really want to grow into a professional... then some focus would help a lot. That doesn't mean you have to quit working on whatever, just that you dedicate a bit more time to learning what you deem to be important.

Also: always use reference, especially for realistic characters.

Btw welcome to the community :smile:

• kawaiispacekillers
    Offline / Send Message
    @Gustavo_Elliott
    Thank you for your warm welcome to polycount :)

i decided to learn 3D because i always wanted to create a game, even a little it doesn't matter but create something people will be happy to play and enjoyed it, share it with someone else, so i was thinking that maybe i need to learn basics of multiple aspect of the 3D, like making of  character, props and environment but also level design,etc... i know it's not possible to learn everything but since i never work in the industry and i'm not young, i'm not sure to be able to enter a company and anyway i want to focus on this dream to create a game. I listen tones of GDC conference about game and i'm actually a gamer too.

i'm writting actually a story for my game project, and i'm  designing concept by my own (i just finish a 8 weeks class at CGMA for digital painting, that was really cool ! ). i was thinking it was important i know a little of everything and then focus on something i really like after, just to know what i'm talking about to other futur partner in 3D. Character is really something i enjoy to recreate from concept last year, and i think this year i will focus on it :) 

i thank you Gustavo again for your warm welcome and i will took your advice as well !
  • kawaiispacekillers
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Guys ! 

here is some new sculpt i did for a concept art i really love ! the character is named Rose from the concept art of " Spirited " from Alexis Rives (https://www.artstation.com/deadslug). 

i did the sculpt, i hope it's not to far from the concept, critics and comment are welcome ! 

i think next step will be the retopo :) 

Tell me what you think about ! Thank you so much !

here is the concept of Rose

and some image of the sculpt : 

with pose : 

and some starting test in marmoset, actually i was trying more the SSS effect, it was fun but i will post another image with a good SSS map, so here it's just a shot : 

thank you Guys to telling me what you think about and if there is part that are off, and if there is some part you think i did it nicely, i need feedback to improve :) 

Thank you !