Home Marmoset

3DS Max to Marmoset: Importing at Scale

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
redhonour polycounter lvl 8
Hey so I was looking at Marmoset 3.06 with the idea of building an environment in it, but am having lots of trouble with importing at the right scale.

In short, everything I import comes in too large, at least according to the built in scale reference.

I first noticed this when I imported my entire scene. I had to scale the whole thing down in order to get it to match the proportions indicated by the scale reference. That's not great, but it's a complex scene already so I wanted to try with simpler geo.

I tried importing with a few cubes to better understand what my units should be. Currently I've been attempting to import a cube at the same height as the scale reference: 180cm. I've set my Max units to centimeters and Marmoset units to centimeters and tried a number of OBJ and FBX options and versions, but no dice so far. They still come in at this odd minimum hugeness.

Interestingly, I've also tried scaling my mesh down far below 180cm in Max and it comes in seemingly at the same size into Marmoset. My expectations are that I can import a 180cm tall cube and it will fit the height of scale ref guy and his sweet 'stache.

1) What am I not understanding here?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    In the Scene object properties, there are two scale settings:

1. Imported Scale, this is the scale of your imported mesh, if you've set the scale in Max to CM, you should set it to CM here as well. Adjusting this setting will scale your content.

2. Scene Scale, this defines the scale units in Toolbag, for instance, a light positioned at 1,0,0 would be 1m if Scene Scale is set to meters. Generally it makes sense to keep this set to the same as Imported scale. Adjusting this setting will not scale the content, it will just convert units.

Now, if adjusting Imported Scale doesn't solve your issue, make sure to check your export settings from your 3D app. There tend to be some scale settings there so it is possible the meshes are being scaled on export.

• redhonour
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    I can work with this, I think. Thanks.
  • petemc
    Offline / Send Message
    petemc polycounter lvl 11
    System units should be 1.0 = 1cm

After that in your fbx export options, use this