Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Project - Character Bust - Critiques Appreciated

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
 I've always admired game models and finally decided to take the steps to make one! So I started a personal project a few months ago and I have been working on and off to improve it. I am already so proud at how far I've come. However, I feel like my model can be improved. I want to produce a very nice looking real-time model.

Iris texture is slightly larger due to parallax in marmoset.

Desired facial hair concept smacked on.

5,072 points low poly.

REALLY scrappy and rough texture applied

My current progress through the months.

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Is he imaginary or based on someone ? If you have use any references posting them will help
    You can start with fixing over all shape of the head in front and side view -> giving a proper frame for the face
    Also post a top view

• Golyhawhaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your reply. I didn't realise the head had a particular plane shape. Already learning something new. I've tried to implement your suggestion. I made the masseter more prominent
     and changed the head planes.

The character is imaginary but I used John Bernthal as the main reference for the overall look.

• Gustavo_Elliott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gustavo_Elliott polycounter lvl 4
    The guys got a bit of a big head in the back lol the ears also look off a bit... If anything I just recommend gathering much more reference... especially when making someone imaginary, that means it doesn't have to be the same person and you can pull physical features/likeness from multiple references to get your character where you want it to be.

we need constant inspiration and reference or else our art will stray from realism.
    The second shot is good for seeing the shape of the skull but the first picture compounded the problem and is probably the reason for the wide head  --- the hairstyle in the first was probably made what you subconsciously think the cranium was wider in the back of the head.

Use the software Pureref if you don't already and constantly glance at reference while creating art. I promise it will go a long way.
    Anatomical and muscular reference will help greatly as well, just make sure to not overdo the subtleties of anatomy.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
  • Golyhawhaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@Gustavo_Elliott You're right. With carvuliero's extra reference angles, I can see I missed out on a lot of significant features that I didn't pay attention to.

@carvuliero Thanks a lot for your input and diagrams. They're very helpful. 

I'm going to look at more references and continue. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for your advice, guys.