Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first project - Anduril

Eggy995
node
Offline / Send Message
Eggy995 node

I'd say I've done pretty well for the first project I set myself. Next, I will be having a go at texturing. Never have I done it before, I'm assuming the most common tool is substance painter. But before heading off I would like to get some feedback on this piece first :D 

Replies

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Yep, nice work indeed.

But before you get into texturing, you may want to check out what's called subdivision surface modeling. Basically, you'd take this model here, subdivide it which divides all the quads and averages their distances, which smooths the thing out. This will give a more realistic look, especially for the pommel.

But the resulting subdivided mesh will be overkill for games, so the next idea is to take the surface information from the subdivided, smooth mesh and bake it onto the original. This gives you a normal map, which you then take with you into the texturing process.

Of course, all of that is many, many steps and is pretty confusing at first. But it's pretty standard procedures for modern game workflows so this might be a good time to practice it.

you can find further details on the wiki. SubD modeling, texture baking, and UV unwrap are the  keywords to search.
  • e_manual
    Offline / Send Message
    e_manual polycounter lvl 3
    Nice job for your first project!
    If you are planning on baking the high-poly into a normal map for the game ready model, I would recommend softening some of the edges in the Subdivision model so once you bake it, you will have more detail to capture in the normal map. If you are using creasing try reducing the value a bit, or alternatively if you are using edge loops try spacing them out further.

• Eggy995
    Offline / Send Message
    Eggy995 node

getting these issues after baking in substance painter 2
  • e_manual
    Offline / Send Message
    e_manual polycounter lvl 3
    We will need to see your UV's and the bake setting to get all the information, but for the sword grip I suspect it is because the high poly is more rounded, so your options for that particular part would be to make the High poly more triangular like in the Low poly, or add more geometry to support the shapes better for the low poly when baking.

• Eggy995
    Offline / Send Message
    Eggy995 node
    I made another post asking for help and followed all advice to no avail. So instead of wasting more time on it im just gonna move onto something else. Maybe something simpler.