Home Technical Talk

Displacement From ZBrush to Arnold (Maya) gets twirly when animating facial rig

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
syoels polycounter lvl 2
Hi Polycounters :) This is my ever message here after ghosting for a while and this place is the best. 

I'm an animation student, working on my first ever 3D short movie. 
I made a model, and I've recently added a facial rig which works fine (for a first timer). 
I wanted to move towards my next step which is adding a displacement map to roughen up the characters skin. 

I followed this workflow from Zbrush multimap exporter to Arnold for Maya, using these export settings: 

And connected them to my model using these hypershade & shape settings: 

All according to the guide I mentioned. 
Now, when the character is at it's default pose, it looks ok. Not perfect, but I am pleased enough with it.
Once I start animating it I am seeing pretty big warps all over the mesh, which seem (to my unprofessional eye) to be bigger then the vertices movement: 

Iv'e uploaded the scene and the Map tp this folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1L8wbK1zQ0xDanV3Wa0W_zNknFSHvGins?usp=sharing 
However I'm using a few plugins you might require to succesfully open the file with no errors (mGear, Braverabbit Shapes, ngSkinTools). 

I'd appreciate any feedback of any kind - 
but would most importantly like to know how to fix the strange warps on my dear whale's face when it moves :) 

Thanks a lot in advance! 

Replies