Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Walther outdoor survival knife - Critique?

toxicsludge77
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
toxicsludge77 polycounter lvl 5

Hi all

Thought I'd try and brush up on my high poly detailing and thought the handle of this knife would be good practise.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. There are some areas I'm not 100% satisfied with, but it was a good learning project.

Reference:

Thanks for Looking!

Replies

• CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Pretty solid model :smile:

Some feedback:
    It looks like youve made the sides of the handle flat while the concept is rounded, you could try to used FFD (Lattice Modifier depending on software) to round out the sides.

The spiky-grip areas (red) which dont match the concept but maybe thats what you meant with "some areas I'm not 100% satisfied with"

Smaller nitpick is the corners for the "walther" logo (green) which dont match the ref, one is too sharp and the other isnt as defined as it should be.

The textures could be improved a bit, maybe its the skybox but your model looks very blue compared to the concept.
    The metal blade doesnt feel like metal like it should, making clean metal look like metal is something I struggle with as well.

With a bit of tweaking I think you can improve the model a lot :smiley:
  • toxicsludge77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxicsludge77 polycounter lvl 5

Thanks for your comments CyranM!

1. Totally missed rounding the handle - nice spotting!

2. The spikey areas...I'm not happy with the shape of the grips at the rear of the handle. Since this is a game res mesh, I think the knurling pattern baked out ok at the front. Do you see something I don't?

3. Good call of the bit with the 'Walther' logo, needs to be sharper.

4. The HDRI I used was an outside blue sky one so that explains the blue! Should've used one closer to the ref pic.

Thanks so much for your critique! Great points mentioned :D