Home Career & Education

Why is it required to know multiple 3D modeling programs?

ned_poreyra
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ned_poreyra polycounter lvl 4
I know only Blender and this is a huge problem for me that stops me from applying to any company. Why does it matter which software I use for modeling? Mesh and textures are interchangeable between programs. I get why it might be required to know Substance Painter/Designer, because when I make a material, then I can share it within the studio to speed up the work. But why would it matter if I sculpt in Blender or in Zbrush, if the output is just a mesh? Why would it matter if I model in Blender, 3ds Max or Modo? I can export the object in a universal format and there will be no problem whatsoever for someone else in the studio to use it. Even if there are some adjustments required (like different scale, rotation, whatever) it will be still faster for me to model in Blender, import the thing into Max/Maya/Modo, make those adjustments myself and then pass on Max/Maya/Modo file, instead of modeling in any of those programs from the beginning.

I tried to learn 3ds Max for 1 hour a day for a month and that was an utter failure. I was not comfortable at all, I couldn't model even a cup without a tutorial. The workflow is insanely weird and stiff, completely different to Blender. On the other hand I learned to use Substance Painter, Designer and MarvelousDesigner pretty much the same day, because this is actually new software that allows me to do new things. That's not the case for 3ds Max, Maya, Modo and Zbrush (ok, except UDIMs).

Is my resoning convincing? Just to emphasise one more time: I have nothing against learning new software, as long as it's actually new software doing new things. I just don't see any reason to switch to a different software if I can do all the required things in a program I already know.

Replies

• m_asher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m_asher node

I tried to learn 3ds Max for 1 hour a day for a month and that was an utter failure. I was not comfortable at all, I couldn't model even a cup without a tutorial. 
    Which is why you should know the basics. Studios won't expect you to master every package out there, but they will expect you to know enough to fit your work into their pipeline. And since studio's pipeline can include scripts and plugins (that can be exclusive to the studio) that only exist for certain software packages, you can undermine your employability if you don't show a willingness to learn new tools.

If you're coming in as a senior artist with a mindblowing portfolio that clearly leverages a specific set of tools — sure, there's a fair chance that studios will be more accomodating of your software preferences. I've read that studios are a lot more flexible than they were in the past and that portfolio quality can override software experience gaps, but those comments have all come from experienced artists who were talking in the context of preferred tools.
  • ned_poreyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m_asher said:
    And since studio's pipeline can include scripts and plugins (that can be exclusive to the studio) that only exist for certain software packages,
    Well ok, that's a logical reason.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    What you require is probably just little more patience and determination :) One month is not long enough, give it more time. Learn Max if you're already in the process, then try learning Maya. You'll probably find it a LOT easier to pick the new program after having had to readjust your mindset to Max. The more we do this, the easier it becomes. Same thing applies to ZBrush, as weird as that app's UI and basic functionality may appear. Patience & perseverance. 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    You've got the goal, but you don't believe in it.

Really convince yourself that learning another one of the 3d softwares is necessary, and then you'll get smart and figure it out. The effort involved is non-issue.

Here is a good reason: Most studios use autodesk programs, so learning one of them will make you immediately more hireable as a junior artist.

Pretty good reason, right?

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    I think you have a few issues at hand here

"Why would it matter if I model in Blender, 3ds Max or Modo? I can export the object in a universal format and there will be no problem whatsoever for someone else in the studio to use it."

besides plugins, engines can be synced to the tool at hand, triangulation is also different in any of those tools. So your normalmap bakes might break as soon as an animator handles your data.
    That said, i think it should be totally fine in almost any studio that you model for the most part in blender and do the stuff after modelling the tool thats synced the best to the engine.
    Blender is ideal in this case, as it costs nothing. if you asked for another license for like max in a maya house, they might just deny your request. This stuff can easily go pretty expensive and unless its a big studio (and even if) they might not want that investment.
    You should still make sure all your data is convertable and ready for any person to take over, in case you are sick. People will have to be able to rely on you even when you are not around.

"On the other hand I learned to use Substance Painter, Designer and MarvelousDesigner pretty much the same day,"

I think this is also most likely because those tools do completely different things. Not the same things in different ways. I can tell you getting into blender after more than a decade of max is also not happening without any hiccups.
    Getting used to maya to basic operation also took some time for me and i am still far from being able to do the same stuff i do in max at the same pace. mostly because a ton of tools don't exist and i didnt take the time to learn the full maya ways.
    But learning something entirely new is usually a lot easier for me than relearning what i already do
  • arnov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arnov polycounter lvl 4
    It really doesn't matter what you use, I use Blender exclusively (and the only one in studio), but it's good to know basics of 3Ds Max at least. Like m_asher mentioned - "studio's pipeline can include scripts and plugins (that can be exclusive to the studio) that only exist for certain software packages", I think this is the only reason why would anyone tell you to use a different software these days.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
     don't think any studio will not hire you because of blender, pretty much every studio even the big ones have blender users (at least where I live) You can just model in blender and when you are done export it to the software the studio is using to triangulate the mesh and maybe export your mesh to the engine. Like Neox mentioned many companies have their own export tools and most of the time they are written for Maya and 3ds Max.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Zi0 said:
     don't think any studio will not hire you because of blender, pretty much every studio even the big ones have blender users (at least where I live) You can just model in blender and when you are done export it to the software the studio is using to triangulate the mesh and maybe export your mesh to the engine. Like Neox mentioned many companies have their own export tools and most of the time they are written for Maya and 3ds Max.
    Not even talking about custom export tools, just FBX alone is different from Max or Maya and those tools come from the same company. The triangulation is different, the way the normals are calculated is different. You just can't rely on Max data in a Maya oriented pipeline, or vise versa. Unless Triangulation and normals are done by the engine, unreal is capable of doing this. If it is this way, it really doesnt matter where the data is coming from.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    If you apply in our studio you hav to use Maya no way around it. We have a maya pipeline and do share a lot of work during the modeling process. If an other Artost needs your data you have to provide a maya file. We use a lot of maya tools you dont have in Blend or cant export to maya. We also start riggin early on referenced maya files. Maintaining the incoming Belnder files is just an unnecessary overhaed.

But all that doesnt mean we wont hire you. Learnign Maya does take some weeks and you are up to speed. If you are motivated there is no reason to not hire a Blender Artist. And maybe some day there will come a Blender Project and we all have to use Blender. 
  • ned_poreyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu said:
    If you apply in our studio you hav to use Maya no way around it. We have a maya pipeline and do share a lot of work during the modeling process.
    Would it still matter for a character artist? I spend 90% of the time in sculpting mode (which, for the sake of the argument, is like spending time in Zbrush), so would I be just required to retopo in Maya?
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    We do more modeling in maya than you might think. Its sometimes faster to get a animateable topo and do some sculpting passes on top. At least for cinematic chars. Or for Disney like chars there are no subD levels at all.
    It depends on the project for sure. If its a high to low Game Character you spend a lot of time in Zbrush yes.

Dont fear to learn/use other tools. You should focus on learning how to model and how to sculpt. 
    The tool doesnt matter.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    but even there it depends on the project for our stylized projects 80% of the work does not happen inside zbrush