Home Career & Education

Portfolio Advice / how to impove my work? help

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
warbossdil polycounter lvl 2
hi there, i'm like new in here but, the past day i've looked on some topics, and i though i should get out there and start asking for some help.
This is my "portfolio" on Artstation https://www.artstation.com/warbossdil  and some reels on my vimeo https://vimeo.com/user7982883

I have like 2 years of working experience, 1 doing lots of modelling and 1 of doing animation. The problem is, i really do want to work making videogames, but i think right now i don't have the right focus, or maybe i do, but i'm hesitant of what i should do.

Based on the other topics i would say that i would want to work on stylized models (like darksiders,potionomics,borderlands) or sci fi (xcom,halo), so i would like to know how to improve on that, i also can say that i really don't care if i work on an  indie studio or a AAA. 

And well i do like everything of the 3d world but i see that is better to specialize on something. I would like to work on enviroments / props. Of course also characters, but i think i'm far ready for that haha.

in other words, and not overthinking too much, what kind of skills you'd say i need to learn, and how can i improve.
also thanks whoever reads this :smile:

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Focus on just one thing at a time.

If it's environment/props, and you know the type of art style you like to do, see if you can't find some studios currently doing something similar. Probably the easiest way would be to find that style on artstation and then creep on those artist putting it up. I dunno if this is necessarily a great idea or not, but maybe you can even write to some of the senior artist if you have a specific studio in mind, simply explain you are a artist in training and you'd like to know what type of skills and style they are looking for in juniors. That might annoy some people or return no response, but maybe somebody could appreciate that initiative. Just an idea.

Goal then should be to make work at the same quality as they are. No reason you can't. Absolutely no reason at all. Zero reason. It would be insanity, sheer insanity, to think that you cannot do the same thing plenty of other people are doing. Insanity. Maybe you can't do it on your own entirely, but nobody does. Everybody needs help. No prize for doing something alone, when you could have done it with a team. There is plenty of places to get whatever kind of help you need.

Probably the most bang for your buck, since you already have the basics down, is get involved with some group of artist focused on your one discipline and try get as many opinions as possible about what skills you lack. Don't just use your own brain. Use everybody's brain. 

A paid mentorship from a current, relevant professional could help get you on the right track quickly. Professionals opinion is usually worth more than others, but it is still only one person. So don't overesteem others to the point of making yourself powerless.

Also, you can post in the 3d showcase section of the forums here. No guarantee you get reviews but usually if you are consistent somebody is gonna jump in and help you out, and that's a lot better than grinding totally alone.

also also, looks like some environment artist working at Ubisoft in toronto just advertised a stream they started specifically to help beginners out. Always take advantage of stuff like that. Somebody wants to help, take the gift!

Good luck!

• warbossdil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warbossdil polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for your reply i really aprecciate it.  You're right, if others can make it, then i can too, i'll search for artists and ask them about the skills, and idk who is that person of ubisoft, but i assume it's on the streams topic so i'll search him.
    And yeah, probably start being more active on media, so i can ask for feedback :blush: even if it scares me haha.