Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] [WIP] Comfy Office (update: fancy headphones)

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
wenglish polycounter lvl 10
Hey, I'm working on a scene in Unreal. The story is it's an eccentric college professor's office from the 1980's. He is researching mysterious disappearances.

I'm new to UE4 and am currently trying to work out the scene composition and lighting. I want to create an atmosphere of extreme comfyness and realism. I started this scene in Unity but have been really impressed by the lighting in UE4 and wanted to give it a try.

Here are my blockout shots so far, there's a lot of lightmap issues and blockout geometry but I'd love to hear any thoughts and suggestions, especially regarding lighting and scene composition.

Replies

• wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working on some of the assets. Here are some Iray renders of a small chunk of them (it's the small desk and globe under the maps on the left wall from the first image)

I am also working on a cassette player. I am thinking it will go on the top right shelf of the desk. It's still in progress, but here are some highpoly renders I took in Keyshot:

Any crit appreaciated!
  • wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I've been working on the highpoly grandfather clock. I got pretty inspired by some really wierd ones with faces carved all over them... So here's what I have so far:

Something I could use specific feedback on is whether the sculpted designs are clashing with the SubD designs (some I sculpted and some are SubD, and I am wondering if the sculpted ones are noticeably lower quality). I also think the carved faces could use some work but not quite sure what, any specific advice would be really helpful!

Any other crit apprecitated too!
  • CrackRockSteady
    Yes there is a noticeable difference, the sculpted pieces are a bit rough, but they look pretty good and I definitely wouldn't say they clash.  On a real clock like this I think I would probably expect some level of imperfection in the hand carved pieces.  You could improve areas of it, for example the robes/cloth on the male figures in the center is kind of lumpy and could use work, but I don't think it will make or break it, overall I think it already looks really cool and if you nail the materials this will look really nice.
  • wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @CrackRockSteady Thanks, glad you like it! You're right the cloth was definitely lumpy. I've made some changes to a few of the sculpted pieces, but mostly the center figures. I think this new sculpt is 'sharper', but maybe too noisy?

Here's the figures closer up:

Really looking forward to texturing, but want to nail this highpoly.

Criticism is always appreciated!
  • wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allright, I did the unthinkable. I textured my 10 million polygon highpoly. Tell me what you think, I want this to look realistic, I'm thinking of using it as a portfolio piece.

Any c or c welcome!
  • wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The next prop I'm working on is a pair of headphones. I decided to texture the highpoly again. I figure I can always rip the albedo and roughness maps the same way I would rip a normal and ao, and it makes a nicer looking portfolio piece :)

Here's what I've got:

C and c welcome!

• wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another HP render test. Headphone wires, stand, and music player. 

Low angle (to show off the wires better)