Home Marmoset

Marmoset FBX Import change how texture looks? OBJ is fine

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
AlexanderMoA polycounter lvl 3
I can´t figure out why but everytime i import an FBX with animation from maya to Marmoset the geometry acts really weird and my texture doesn't look good.
Heres an example, FBX left and OBJ right , as you can see even without applying the texture you can already see that it is not correct even tho is the same geometry.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can try exporting your FBX file with different settings, try making sure normals is enabled, but bi-normals and/or tangents is disabled.

Are the material settings the same for both meshes? We attempt to load the material settings from the mesh, and FBX and OBJ save different data, so the materials come in a bit differently. Try adding a new material to the FBX mesh and see if that resolves the problem.
  • AlexanderMoA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol i managed to fix it once but now i'm back to this problem. what u said didn't actually work.
    And to be honest i dont know what i did to solve it but this happens almost all the time when i export an FBX ot marmoset with animation.
  • Som21o6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey
    I'm actually struggling with the same problem.
    Exporting as an FBX works as long as I delete the history, but then my animation will be gone.
    OBJ works also fine but then again my animation is missing.
    It also looks like in Marmoset the light is reversed. But in Maya all normals are fine.
    I'm going a bit mad here :'D
  • Arthaven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arthaven polycounter lvl 8
    Hello @Som21o6 , can you send me your files (Maya, FBX, OBJ) so that I can take a look at them? Send to: support@marmoset.co

Thanks!
  • AlexanderMoA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back with this , i still dont manage to fix it.
    I realized that the rig that marmoset creates looks good when you import the animation to marmoset and the textures are also displaying correctly.
    But this rig that was created by a rigger i work with has these issues.
    Please if someone knows what could be going on here please let me know :c .

There's also one more thing i found out... 
    Under channel box windows then "Inputs"
    There's this "skincluster" option
    And finally inside the skincluster is this option called Deform User Normals which if i turn off on every single piece of geometry i have it proves to greatly reduce or almost completely get rid off this problem but it doesn't works with all my geometry parts, and that's why im stuck there.

• Juliastorybored
    I had the same problem before, my friend tried different skinning from geodesik to default and it worked.
  • Juliastorybored
    if changing your skinning method still didn't work, you can test on exporting your file with the idle pose keyed at the beginning first with the animation.