Home Technical Talk

Maya - black artifacts after harder/softer edges were applied.

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
GarethStandfield polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys iv had this issue inside cinema 4D before but there i could change settings in the phong tag and sort it but i UV in maya and am trying to export the mesh into substance with the softer/harder edges so i can create a smoother texture. But i dont know how to sort the harsh black lines on the top and bottom of the UV edges and around the little panels UV edge. 

Any help would be appricated thanks.  

Replies

• icegodofhungary
    Offline / Send Message
    icegodofhungary interpolator
    The black around the hole looks like a smoothing angle problem. Mesh Display -> Harden/Soften edges, I usually do between 45-60 depending on the surface. If you're setting it too high, you get those harsh black artifacts. Because you're basically bending the normal so much that part of the face is in the "shade" and part of it is in the light. So the shading across the face is very uneven. You can visualize your normals in Maya by selecting your object, Display -> Polygons -> Face Normal. You can also toggle their visibility in the attribute editor for your object. I'm not sure about the lines on the top and bottom rings.
  • GarethStandfield
    Offline / Send Message
    Mhm the lines appeared when the other black things did so i guess ill also look into the light/shade options on them so see if its a problem there :/ this is rather weird.
  • GarethStandfield
    Offline / Send Message
    I used the "Average" setting and it seemed to fix both issues, so im assuming the black bars were also the same artifacts as the square at the front but due to small amount of geometry was showing as a solid, thanks for all ya help mate :)
  • rube
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    'Unlock Normals' will often fix an issue like this.