Home Technical Talk

Semi-pronated vs pronated arms for T-pose

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
braintrain polycounter lvl 7
Heyo, I have been wondering why most T-poses for game characters use semipronated arms? What is the advantage? Since the forearm is rotated by 45 degrees, shouldn´t this be a disadvantage for animators?

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Eh?!..though I'm not an animator/rigger by any stretch, however from what I've managed too pick up is that these days A pose is the norm.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It's closer to the pose the character will normally be in, our rigs usually aren't sophisticated enough to deal with extreme deviation from the bind pose so this leads to less artefacting, less of the time

It's the same reason that a T-pose isn't usually the best pose to model in for game characters and we mostly go with the A-pose.   

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    hands down, because this way you rotate the handjoint 90° to forwards and 90° to be backwards, upwards is usually a much more rare case. so overall its just less stress on the geo/rig and deforms better. with nowadays rigs and amount of polies its less of an issue than it used to be tho
  • braintrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    braintrain polycounter lvl 7
    Ah yes, the casual hand rotation seems to be a good reason! never thought about that. Thank you guys!