Home General Discussion

What's the phrase for when you can't see the errors in your own animation?

Hello everyone! Me and a friend come from Sweden and we're writing an University paper where we investigate how repeatedly seeing the same animation within games will affect how it's perceived. Like any good paper, you need good sources, and one of the things we would like to include is how an animator might not see the flaws in their own animation when they work on it for extended periods of time, for when you need someone to look at it in order to point out those flaws. The problem is, we know perfectly well what this is called in Swedish, but neither we nor our teacher knows what this is called in English. Just translating it into english doesn't help us, I'm afraid. Is there any "official" name for this specific condition?

Replies

• zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    It may fall under the same principle as lexical fatigue or semantic satiation, which is what happens when you see, or read a word over and over again and it doesn't look right or loses its meaning. I've yet to hear a term for it relating to art or animation however, as I assume it's the same thing  as when 2d artists flip their canvases. 

It may have to do with intrinsic diagonals as well and how we perceive motion in nature. There is a bit of information from this post on the topic which one of the users points out the diagonals thing. 
    https://forums.cgsociety.org/t/why-do-my-flipped-images-look-bad/1417445/2  

There's an article about a similar phenomena occurring during writing in which the overarching syntax and typographical errors only become apparent when you step away from your work or let someone else read it. In the article it explains briefly how the intent of conveying meaning causes our brains to generalize simple concepts or components to further our goal of conveying what we want to. Those generalizations are the errors. I assume this occurs in most forms of art where the action of creating and instilling what we want in a piece may be intrinsically wrong but our brain generalizes it so that we can keep working.
    https://www.wired.com/2014/08/wuwt-typos/

Only when we get a "fresh pair of eyes" does the intent of creation and meaning disappear because now our intent is not convey something but rather to review and understand. Or even if our intent is focused on another portion of a piece we may notice our generalizations in other areas.

If I had to give you a term I would say Creational Generalization. (I am not qualified to make up terms however) 
  • StefanMogren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @zachagreg ! What you mention about lexical fatigue, semantic satiation and generalization does indeed seem like it could be used with animations as well. The very least how the brain works in this regard.

Thank you for your help!
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Depends on why you can't see the errors I suppose? Tunnel vision might be one reason.

Others checking your work would be called a Peer Review I guess...
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range