Home Technical Talk

Texture Atlas help

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Worldevour polycounter lvl 6
Say that i have already uvs and painted texture for an object, and i want to add afterwards an object with already uved and painted texture too:  https://prnt.sc/n0xea7

I there a way to move uvs while moving the texture too at the same time, because moving the uvs and then going to photoshop trying to match the paint to the uvs can be hard especially on complex things where you don't want to lose much texture space too.

How to go about doing it?

I actually want to move uvs and automatically move the texture.

Replies

• Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I noticed in your UV layout that the new shape matches another if you flip it. Can you reuse that area of your texture? If you can, do that. If you can't , you can finish both textures and then bake that out to a new uv layout. Worst case, is the you make the new uv layout and then you copy paste those elements inside Photoshop from one texture to another.

• Worldevour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worldevour polycounter lvl 6
    Yes i guess that is the only way, to change uvs position then go to photoshop to do the same thing for texture. But is there an automatic way? i guess not :disappointed:
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    There isn't a way to do this automatically. Currently the way I've done it is using a custom atlaser in substance designer to position and scale the textures all at once into a given atlas position and then an accompanying custom script in 3DS Max, that moves the UVs of a selected object/object set into the correct position and scale within 0-1 UV space. 

But that is for making libraries of a lot of common objects that are consistently added to. For something as small as this there should be no problem with just flipping that UV island onto the one @Sage pointed out. You shouldn't have to edit the texture at all. Unless for some reason that shell, which looks exactly the same as an existing one needs special textures on it differing from the one you currently have.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Bake it to another UV set on the same object or if your software doesn't support that, bake it to another object with the new UVs