Home Technical Talk

Maya, scaling edges individually

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Axcel polycounter lvl 14
Hi,

I'm looking for a convenient way of scaling selected edges separately for continuous edges (like 3ds max always does). I know i can use axis orientation: component mode in tool settings, but typically component orientation is screwed and see no way to work around it.

How do you deal with it? Do you know any script, tool, whatever which will allow me to scale edges separately of each other? It's freaking great solution for changing thickness of ropes, straps etc. And probably the only way i know to do it.

I like 3ds max solution so much more. When edges scale independently, and if u want scale whole seleciton at once, just convert it to vertices or faces.

Thanks for any help or workflow suggestions.

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Could you show an example of how you do this in Max? The terminology between programs are different and it can get confusing. (like when Max people talk about smoothing groups, a thing that only exists in Max)

Since you mention thickening ropes or straps, convert whatever selection you want to vertices, activate the move tool, in the move settings under axis orientation select Normal and then drag the handle marked N to "thicken".
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I used Max for ten years. I'm not sure what you are referring to? Are you talking about being able to scale things in a local mode? In Max you can have say two spheres inside and object and you need to scale them at the same time without them scaling into each other?

If that is the case, you have to be in vert mode in Maya.
    Set the orientation to normal. Make sure you are in move mode. 
    The transform widget turns into three lines. Move your mouse over the line that has an N on it and drag. This isn't perfect but it's like the push modifier in Max. Sometimes it helps.

Another thing that might help on some instances is scaling in tweek mode. Say you want to scale windows at the same time. It's almost like using Outline in Max.

• onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    I would use transform under Edit Mesh. What it does is scale the edges along normals. So for a rope I would select either the edge rings or the edge loops of the rope and run Transform components(Transform). might be named different depending on your type of selection.

Another Method is while you have the Move Tool active. Hold Ctrl + left mouse on one axis and drag to adjust the amount.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    you can move selected components (faces, verts, or edges) along their normal when the move tool is selected by holding ctrl+middle mouse drag. Combine with soft selection for an easy way to inflate or deflate objects.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    yeh my bad BigTimemaster is right ctrl + middle mouse drag sorry.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    no, my bad, i only read the first post and hadn't seen you already mentioned that. even if you typo the key to press i'm sure that can be figured out