Home Technical Talk

Reconstruction of missing geometry in Zbrush

Hi!

Im going to try and recreate geometry that is missing on a 3dscanned old cup.

How would you approach this?

Im greatful for any tips, tricks, suggestions or workflow. I cut out a section from the cup and included the obj below.

The program im gonna use is Zbrush. Cant afford any other tools right now unfortunally.

/Chris

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I'd duplicate the piece in place. Rotate it to fill the gap. Slice/clip/delete the extraneous and dynamesh at a high res and you should only have minimal cleanup.

Also, always have an extra dupe as a subtool for reprojection.
  • instg8r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    instg8r polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Tjoba, My approach would be to create a new cylinder and project the scan model onto that. As for the missing piece, I'd try duplicating the scan and rotate it around to fill the hole. See if you can project both the scanned pieces (the original and the rotated duplicate) onto the new cylinder, otherwise, try dynameshing the scans together (keep an original copy before, just in case) then projecting. On the cylinder, start with a low sub-d, project, increase sub-d, project, etc. until you get the level of detail you want. There will typically be some clean-up you'll have to do, too. Hopefully, this helps you along!
  • Tjoba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gr8 advice! Big thanks!